• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ram disk

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

badgers

how do I make a ram disk that builds itself each time I boot and then make windows use it as the swap file? I have a lot of memory 768meg and I don't think that I am really using the first full 256 meg. I just bought it because mem was so cheap.

what are other ways to make the memory work for a practical system?

thank you for your time and have a good day

what do people normally do when they have a large amount of ram?

I have done the arstechnica.com tweaks for large disk cache and executive paging but I know that there must be a better way to use the memory.

I only use hardcore programs every once in a while.

Most of the time I just surf the net, check email then put the computer to sleep.

I wake it up and then check email again.

I only use C++ and VB for educational purposes, I am not an expert at programming. I hate C++ but I have the most education in it. I love VB because it is so easy to get the job done.

It seemed like the links you gave me(thank you) are a basis for me to start writing my own program.

I appreciate the work you did in finding that, but I don't really want to make my own program for ram disks.

what would you do to take advantage of a large amount of memory?

my task manager puts my peak usage about 210 - 230 megs.

thank you for your time and have a good day

If I had that much RAM not being used, I'd give it away to some lucky person (hint, hint...) :D

Try this:

http://www.cenatek.com/product_ramdisk.cfm

I used RamDisk 98 before it was switched over to this company, and it seems to do everything that you want. Saves the disk image on shutdown, and then loads it again on startup. I don't know if it will load it before Windows starts up it's swapfile, so I'm not sure if it will work.

JigPu

takiwa said:
If I had that much RAM not being used, I'd give it away to some lucky person (hint, hint...) :D
funny you should mention this. I started this thread because I just "loaned" a 256 meg tonicom stick to a friend. I only have 512 right now and every thing is the same. My friend only has 128 of PC100 for a celly system. They were unsure if more memory would make a difference for them so I am letting them use the memory for a week to see if they notice a difference.

taking out 256 meg and not seeing any difference in performance really made me realize that I need to come up with an intelligent way to exercise this memory to my full advantage.

what do most people put on the ram drive if it is not the swap file?

badgers said:

funny you should mention this. I started this thread because I just "loaned" a 256 meg tonicom stick to a friend. I only have 512 right now and every thing is the same. My friend only has 128 of PC100 for a celly system. They were unsure if more memory would make a difference for them so I am letting them use the memory for a week to see if they notice a difference.

taking out 256 meg and not seeing any difference in performance really made me realize that I need to come up with an intelligent way to exercise this memory to my full advantage.

what do most people put on the ram drive if it is not the swap file?

Things to put on a ram drive.. hmm something to be meant to run fast.

Like say you were running a server for games you should put it on the ramdisk.

Yodums

so would folding run faster if the program and the data file was on the ram disk?

badgers said:
so would folding run faster if the program and the data file was on the ram disk?
Well, I don't know about Folding specificly, but SETI will see a slight improvement when run on RAM because when it saves the files, it dosen't have to deal with a slow (comparitivly) HD. Also, you can set your HD to power down because it won't be writing to it. Folding should be similar.

I'd stick stuff that uses the HD alot. The main advantage of a ram drive is it's insanely fast access and write times. So anything that reads or writes to the HD alot at some point could get a speedup.

JigPu

Due to system maintenance this site will be unavailable beginning

9:00pm EST Friday, January 11 through 8:00 am EST Saturday, January 12th.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Try again tomorrow.

Back