• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

No audio, inferior video, no modem, with P4B

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jaze

Registered
I replaced an ABIT BE6-II with an ASUS P4B. I uninstalled all the devices from the system manager before making the change so that the P4B could make it's own settings.

I installed the P4B, upgraded the BIOS to 1008, installed the drivers from the included CD, but I can't play any audio files.
I get an error message telling me that there is no audio hardware installed (device manager says all is OK), or the hardware is not responding (Error=80040256). The voice post works through my powered speakers, though.

I'm using W98SE, a 2940U2W SCSI card, a 3Com NIC, and a USB hub.

I'm forced to use an old VooDoo2 PCI video card because the P4B wouldn't accept my Viper V770 4X AGP video card. (system failed VGA test). I'm almost certain that this card is 1.5V.

The P4B wouldn't boot when I tried to install a 56k PCI lite modem. I received an error message that the boot process halted while initializing device PTVCD.

I can't install a 2902 SCSI card for my scanner because the system won't boot at all if I try. I'm forced to use the slower USB connection.

I'm not a happy camper.

s

Try removing all devices in device manager including video, ie sound, modem, scsi, port, ide. Go into display and install the standard vga adapter. Shut down the system. Remove everything except drives and viper card. Reboot and windows should prompt you as it finds devices. Using the motherboard disk install drivers. Shut down and reboot. If all goes well install Diamond drivers. Shutdown and reboot. Setup video (resolution etc. Go into control panel and using add hardware install comm port. Shut down and one at a time install cards and drivers including scsi. The biggest problem with all this is the Win98. I prefer SE or ME.

Back