• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good overclockable Mobo for under $100

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cyberey66

I'm finally going to get a new motherboard soon, but don't want to spend a lot. The only thing I'm looking for is possible FCPGA-2 compatility, support for 512m ECC sticks of pc100 memory, hardware monitoring, and overclockability. The board will house a celeron 1GHz, 2x 512m sticks samsung ecc pc100, and 3-4 pci cards(want 5 slots though).

Don't really need a specific board just a direction to go to. Any chipsets, boards to look at? I just want good memory speed and possibly incremental FSB.

I was just looking at the Abit VH6T, which had the Via 694T chipset. It's cheap, supports ECC SDRAM and is also Tualatin compatible. I imagine that any board that has the 694T chipset should fit the bill, if you don't mind using a Via chipset board. The darn thing was like $74 at the place I looked at.

muddocktor said:
I was just looking at the Abit VH6T, which had the Via 694T chipset. It's cheap, supports ECC SDRAM and is also Tualatin compatible. I imagine that any board that has the 694T chipset should fit the bill, if you don't mind using a Via chipset board. The darn thing was like $74 at the place I looked at.

That's the exact board i was looking at. Via seems a little shady though, they don't seem to have good agp drivers for 2k and XP yet. I was looking on mwave.com, there are a few 815eb based boards for the same price. But the abit is the one I was looking at. So it's via 694T vs 815eb. I guess it's off to go read some review now.

I checked the i815 using Crucial's memory configurator and the board that I will be using for the system I'm presently building(Gigabyte GA-6OXET) and they show no support for either ECC ram or 512 mb dimms, so I think that i815 is out the window if you want to use that memory. Also, the max memory on the i815 is 512 mb. With prices like that on the VH6T, it's kind of hard to pass it up though.

muddoctor....According to my GA-60XET mobo manual the XET does in fact support 512MB DIMMS just fine....

But of course, as is the case with all 815 mobo's the maximum amount of RAM capacity is still 512MB

Back