• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how to config what runs at startup on 2k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jstutman

i know its a simple run command but i dont remember what the program was called. if someone could enlighten me i would appreciate it
thanks

no msconfig in nt

nope notta , msconfig does not equal windows/nt/2k os

there is another means to my madness.

i know i can do it.

i knew that already or i would not have posted.
later

i cant recall the registry key you have to look for but someone will soon come up with the correct answer. anyway, if you know the name of the program file that is starting up you can make a search in the registry for the name. you know, look for the file's name.

You might have to install the Recovery Console. To do so, insert your 2K CD, and when it runs the installation screen, exit from it. Click Start>Run and type :\1386\winnt32 /cmdcons . This will bring you to the Recovery Console screen. After you install it, you will have a new choice in the OS selection menu that includes the console. From the Console you can enable and disable services or drivers. When you disable a command, it will display the startup type for the service, which you will need to remember to enable the sevice again. LISTSVC will show what commands and drivers are available. Type EXIT to leave the Console.

there is a registry key where you can find all the programs set to be launched at the startup. perhaps thats a better way to remove instead of using the recovery console. ill see if i find out the proper key.

couple ways, I love a program called start stop, it can be configured to prompt at boot for each service or it can run in the background and just click on it and it gives u a nice gui into your run/run once it is at: http://www.tfi-technology.com/products.htm
is freeand runs great with windows.

i also use xteg for tweakingand it is free and another fine program, but has a learning curve and requires some drilling it is at: http://www.xteq.com/products/xset/index.html it is free

the regestry is like HKLM/software/microsoft/windows/curentversion RUN and RUN ONCE(mostly in run)

Back