• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Service Net is yanking me around.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well - something shook loose.

I received a call back today from the Service Net supervisor telling me that they have now agreed to repair the laptop. She wasn't sure when that was going to happen, but she was checking on it personally and would let me know!

YeaH! If this thread helped you with your ServiceNet problem, please post about it here. :salute:

I think it certainly helped. I don't know if Newegg pushed Service Net, or the BBB helped, or the supervisor realized that they should honor the contract... but the result is positive.

This thread came up pretty high on Google searches about Service Net, so I'm sure they didn't like having my (our) complaints aired in public.

I will let you know once the laptop is returned :lol:

Computer is back, display looks great!

Thanks to Darienne at ServiceNet for promptly addressing my complaint.

So making my complaint in this thread might actually make service net useful? that's pretty bad that we have to complain and basically trash service net to get kind of result. I propose that we as a community promote not using their services. Any company that consistently tries to push their customers around isn't worth what they're asking for payment.

So making my complaint in this thread might actually make service net useful? that's pretty bad that we have to complain and basically trash service net to get kind of result. I propose that we as a community promote not using their services. Any company that consistently tries to push their customers around isn't worth what they're asking for payment.

Amen. I think they deserve to be sued out of existence. It appears they simply employ semantics to refuse support, and don't even bother to check the product. Why else would both the posters get nearly exactly the same experience of just making up 3 different reasons for the same problem?

And btw, it sounds like your laptop had the video controller fail. That's not physical damage.

There is a word for this: Fraud.

Servicenet..UGH

So I bought a refurbished Asus g72x gaming laptop from newegg one year ago yesterday. I bought the one year warranty from servicenet. The computer arrived with a few minor problems but I was so happy to finally have something that could play games at a decent level, and something to do homework on I overlooked these problems. Mainly the power cord fell out once in awhile, sometimes the keys would doubletype, and once in awhile the screen would go black. At first I restarted to fix the problem, then I realized setting the laptop to high power usage fixed the problem. Everything was fine for awhile until the screen started going white instead of black. I found out moving the laptop screen would fix this. It just kept getting worse and worse. Then the power supply stopped working all together. So I started using a different one. So I call servicenet and make a claim. As I'm waiting for the box to come I'm using the laptop, it turns white so I move the screen gently but the LCD cracks from within, because there are black smudges. I was not rough or negligent with it.

Anyway servicenet leaves me a message a few days ago saying they got my laptop and I need to call them. The rep tells me the manufacturer denied my claim. I asked him why and he said because there are black smudges on the screen indicating that the LCD is cracked. I said "okay so?" So he tells me they want 413$ dollars to fix the screen, then they will look into the other issues and assess those. I asked him if they would pay to replace the power supply, fix the power supply slot, and fix whatever was wrong with the LCD screen in the first place. He said he didn't know, because they had to fix that first. Then he said "I think we can replace the power supply for you but I'm not sure if that's covered under the warranty." Well first of all I've read the warranty and since the power supply is necessary for the laptop to function it is. Secondly you work for servicenet you should know the terms of the warranty. These guys are jerking me around. I told them to hold on to it while I think about it for a few days. Yea right by the time I'm through with this guy I'll be paying more for repairs than I did for the laptop(800$ or so).

Amen. I think they deserve to be sued out of existence. It appears they simply employ semantics to refuse support, and don't even bother to check the product. Why else would both the posters get nearly exactly the same experience of just making up 3 different reasons for the same problem?

And btw, it sounds like your laptop had the video controller fail. That's not physical damage.

There is a word for this: Fraud.

Sorry, but I'm sure there is an exclusion for physical damage caused by the customer. You (by your own admission) broke the screen.

There's a good chance you'll be able to get a replacement screen and install it yourself for $100-150. When you get the laptop back, take the screen out and look for the part number. Don't just look for a replacement based on make/model of the laptop, not all vendors list the proper part -- best to be safe and get the exact part number. Plus, the part number will turn up more results on google shopping. The screen might be a standard screen in many makes and models, so using the part number expands that potential pool of resellers.

Good luck!

If I were you, I would replace the LCD screen myself. However that doesn't help you with the power brick issue. I will never use service net again. In the end, it was newegg that finally replaced my faulty LCD

They actually have a good rating

They do, and are used by Amazon as well. My mother insists on using them, and they have been good to her twice. Once when they probably didn't have to be. And that was recent.

I would be more pissed at the tech sent out for burying you behind your back, while being fairly understanding in person.

One of my very good friends owns a large repair shop and when they first stated out they did referral work for an extended warranty company. We have talked about this in the past, and his policy was that his people wouldn't say anything different to the customer, that they were going to say to the extended warranty people. He's an honest dude, though...

Personally, I would only consider buying an extended warranty that is backed and sold by the store or etailer themselves. The latter of which is rare. Ive had personal experience with Best Buy (shudder) when they replaced a laptop, and I recently bought insurance on my new tires.

Glad everything worked out Krag. Newegg has stepped up for me in the past after using this forum. Lost $250 package courtesy of UPS...

Last edited:
BTW, they denied my claim and said it was screen burn-in and that contituted as "physical damage"

That's a lie! LCDs don't burn in like old CRTs! And that's when the CRTs has only one still image displayed most of its life. Looks like just an excuse to kick you.

Back