• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Service Net is yanking me around.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Damnit, wrote a whole reply only to have my sensitive and quirky touchpad hit 'back' and erase it all.

Anyway. My company purchased the computer about 1 year ago. We didn't have any problems until November. One day I booted the computer up and there was what looked like a 1 inch black tear in the upper left of the screen. Over the next few weeks, the another 2 -3 tears appeared, varying in length from 1 - 3 inches. I should note that there was no event that caused this tearing. The laptop was placed on my desk in my office overnight. One day it is working just fine, then next it was booted up with a screen-tear. Nothing was placed on the laptop, and it wasn't moved.

Anyway - I sent the unit in for repair about 2 weeks ago, opening a service claim with ServiceNet. 2 weeks go by with no response, so I follow up with the repair center who says "Your warranty claim was rejected". They tell me to call ServiceNet, which I do. The nice lady (and I am being serious) there named Andrea opened the case and said that the LCD was cracked which can only be caused by user minshandling. I am no technician, but I told her that the laptop was well cared for and it hadn't been moved in over a week. She said it could have been from pressing on the screen, or setting something on the laptop, etc. This didn't happen I noted to her.

We talked for a couple of more minutes, as she noted that ServiceNet warranty didn't cover 'physical damage'. I asked what the warranty does cover, and she noted that it covers 'display failure' or 'hard-drive' failure. I told her those sound like physical damage, and that in fact my display WAS failing. Apparently this didn't jive with the contract language however.

So, we left it at that. The repair shop wants to charge $320 bucks to repair the screen (laptop itself cost $600). My boss isn't going to go for that, and wants it shipped back.

My problem is that we are in 'he said/she said' territory and we are arguing about contract language and definitions. This really is more of a relationship issue IMO. I entered into the contract in good-faith with the expectation that I would bring forth any claims honestly and forthrightly, and that Newegg and ServiceNet would support those claims in good faith. That hasn't happened IMO. My company purchases a number of computers from Newegg, as well as extended warranties serviced through ServiceNet, and this is the first claim we've made. It seems to me that ServiceNet would be better served upholding the contract and maintaining the customer relationship rather then wrangling over contract language.

In addition, I want to say I emailed 'Josh' at Newegg, and he has responded and is looking into my situation. So far I've been very impressed with his willingness to help.

Update - Josh emailed me back. He looked into the case, and now the story is that the damage can be caused by prolonged exposure to direct sunlight. A little different story there.

Anyway - he must have shook something loose, because now ServiceNet is 'reevaluating' my claim. We're going to wait and see how that turns out.

In addition, I want to say I emailed 'Josh' at Newegg, and he has responded and is looking into my situation. So far I've been very impressed with his willingness to help.

Josh is a great guy and very helpful. Sound like you are getting the same exact treatment as I did from ServiceNet. :-/:(

Update - Josh emailed me back. He looked into the case, and now the story is that the damage can be caused by prolonged exposure to direct sunlight. A little different story there.

Sheeesh, naw bro I think it was the lazer beams that shoot out of your eyes when your laptop refresh rate hits 59.99Hz. It happens sometimes and there have been many reports of cracked LCD screens from it. :cool: You should wear sunglasses, that might help

Sorry, just a bit of sarcasim...

Newegg needs to drop ServiceNet like a bad habit.

The fact that a company as reputable as Newegg would deal with an outfit as shady as ServiceNet certainly seems to be is unfortunate.

Someone should seriously file a complaint with the BBB and their Attorney General. Or possibly write a note to your local newspaper, or television station. These organizations love going after companies who are blatantly taking advantage of honest consumers who are simply trying to protect their purchase.

Newegg needs to drop ServiceNet like a bad habit.

The fact that a company as reputable as Newegg would deal with an outfit as shady as ServiceNet certainly seems to be is unfortunate.

Someone should seriously file a complaint with the BBB and their Attorney General. Or possibly write a note to your local newspaper, or television station. These organizations love going after companies who are blatantly taking advantage of honest consumers who are simply trying to protect their purchase.

What stinks is that NewEgg is taking the hit... I'm surprised they haven't cared enough, but I'm sure we don't have all the facts as NewEgg is obviously a genius company... they are one of the biggest e-tailers ever.

Well - it isn't easy to drop one of your largest service vendors and replace them. People at high levels within both companies own those relationships.

Newegg is (so far) doing a great job of responding to my requests. They probably think that this is just the cost of doing business. Unfortunately, it will take a real movement against ServiceNet to to get Newegg to drop them. That is not something I am seeing from my brief moments surfing the web about ServiceNet.

But everyone is right, the unfortunate aspect is that Newegg is left covering for their vendor. They issue new product (Krag's TV), or Josh is supposed to spend his time leaning on the vendor to get them to do the right thing. That is a poisonous business relationship if left unchecked.

+1 to dropping Service Net. Be sure to rate them down within BBB, people who do pay attention and research will see this and not buy anything from those greedy pigs. Newegg should not have to cover anything just because someone is refusing to honor warranty coverage.

Any extended warranty "insurance" is always a scam. 9 out of 10 times if the product fails due to defects, it will be within the original warranty. Also if you used credit card to pay for it, often time they will cover defects beyond the original warranty at no extra cost. Check with your CC provider to see what their policy is.

It is too easy for insurance to claim damage by abuse or other issues not covered by the warranty. Even if you paid for an independent repair service to check your product out and give you a cetrified and notarized report that states "factory defect", the agency will still reject them anyway. That's how they make money.

What stinks is that NewEgg is taking the hit... I'm surprised they haven't cared enough, but I'm sure we don't have all the facts as NewEgg is obviously a genius company... they are one of the biggest e-tailers ever.

But everyone is right, the unfortunate aspect is that Newegg is left covering for their vendor. They issue new product (Krag's TV), or Josh is supposed to spend his time leaning on the vendor to get them to do the right thing. That is a poisonous business relationship if left unchecked.

I expect the reality is that Newegg is not in fact taking the hit, I expect they are given more than enough financial insentive and comission when selling these warentee to continue to profit from selling them.
Newegg do not sell extended warentee for the good of the consumer, if this was the intention then would give them away or price them into the product and run the scheme themselves. It is another form of income. Companys get big by making money thats all, being clever has nothing to do with it, Newegg is good at making money in all areas including warentees.

The real unfortunate aspect is that both companys do not seem to have enough Josh's in them, someone who cares enough to try to do whats right, rather than follow the company book.

I hope if Josh resolves your issues, you take the time to email Newegg head office and tell them how disapointed you are with their failings and the poor extended warentee that they advised you to take out and sold. (I make this assumption as ive never seen anyone actually ask for extended warentee, its always mentioned by the store sales clerk on commission)
At that point inform them that Scott saved their retutation and you as a customer

Just called Service Net back for an update. They haven't added any notes about Josh calling them to inquire about repair. They have also told the repair facility, Nexicore, that they will NOT be reevaluating my claim. They noted that if I have physical damage that I don't believe was caused by the user (myself in this case), then I would have to contact Toshiba to have the unit repaired... not sure on why.

She informed me they would not cover the repair, and that she didn't have an explanation for why I've received 3 separate diagnosis of the problem (sun damage, dropping the laptop, pressure on the screen).

I expressed to her my frustration, my belief that Service Net was not honoring their contract, that Service Net was not maintaining a fruitful business relationship, and that I was going to consider other avenues of resolution, including contacting Newegg (which I've done) and reporting to the BBB. The girl I was speaking to hung up me at this point.

So - I'm waiting to hear back from Josh, but things aren't looking promising right now.

dion...that is the type of treatment I would expect from service net. I sure hope newegg comes to the rescue. I am also glad I started this thread months ago. It allowed me satisfaction and gave others notice of Service Net's cruddy service and I hope it also helps you too! Chime in people~! Anyone dissatisfied with Service Net on the planet can google this thread (except China...sheesh)

Another update.

I filed a complain with Service Net's local BBB. Within 20 minutes I'd received a call back from some sort of supervisor at ServiceNet. She is looking into my complaint and will get back with me on Monday.

Also - Josh emailed me back, clarified a few issues, and told me he has forwarded my issues onto the Newegg liason with Service Net.

I will keep you updated, but at this point, I'm not hopefully for a positive resolution. I'm on my last couple avenues of resolution.

Do the usa not have 'cosumer rights' body which you can complain to, or a TV show for consumer rights. The media can do wonders.

I would not accept this at all. I would ask for copys of the reports and evidence they have to support their statement and pay for independent opinion and the sue them

I would personally rather loose money than let this go on principle.

Well - we're talking about $350 repair on a $600 - $650 computer.

I'm also doing this on behalf of my company, and frankly my CEO (we're a small company), isn't going to take this to small claims. Even if I was doing it on my own, I probably wouldn't take it to small claims.

there are a lot of reports of people having issues with servicenet such as they guy here

http://www.my3cents.com/showReview.cgi?id=27381&s=2243

her did the following filed complaints with Rip-Off Reports, the Better Business Bureau, the TX Attorney General's Office, the IN Attorney General's Office and the Texas Board of Licensing and Regulation.

I just googled for rippoffreports and found the following URL which seems interesting :
http://www.ripoffreport.com/

The business associations are ok for some pressure but if you really want to put a scare in to companies to change their practices your state AG is the way to go.

Well - something shook loose.

I received a call back today from the Service Net supervisor telling me that they have now agreed to repair the laptop. She wasn't sure when that was going to happen, but she was checking on it personally and would let me know!

Back