• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

About time for i5

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Problem is tha ti am limited to 1600mhz ram. at 21x175 with turbo my computer will not boot, because it takes my ram to 1850.

Here is what i am running
gskill 1600 (8-8-8-24)

EDIT: Btw it seems like if i load default values, leave everything on auto, but change blck to 170 and mutli to 21 i cant even boot. so maybe there is something else going on.

Specs of your rams?
Do not over tighten your timing as rated eventhough you're running at lower clock speed. As Turbo kicks in, it needs that extra room to tolerates that higher speed.
If your rams are rated as 999-24 then leave it as that and try again.

2 cores in Turbo
2rmpnqg.jpg

Last edited:
Recently I got a great deal from Fry's combo i5-750 with P55-UD3R.
I'm getting ready for it...while still waitting for a few more items to complete.
I probably need helps along the way to overclock this since this is a newer platform to me...so is ddr3. So please join in and help out. :santa:

For now it is set up on a piece of plexiglass....rams arrived today.

0 - 14t4fn9.jpg
1 - FULL BACK
2 - Added new cut out to accommodate 1156 back hole
3 - Edge
4 - Nut
5 - Rams Rip Jaws PC15000 999-24 @ 1.65v STOCK

........to be continued

Hey sam it's been a while just wanted to pop in and say grats on moving into the i5's! The set p looks beautiful and well managed and also that i5 is a monster! I can't wait to finally get my rig set up, that college loan I was supposed to get hasn't showed up yet because all the paper work got delayed :( Hopefully in the next month or two at the latest I'll have some info for all of you!

Nice job Sam. Taking the 4 core i5 to 2 cores! That's mad overclocking skillz. It's a strange thing to see the i5 750 only on 2 cores. You're right who needs the C2D!:)

If I set my i7 @2 cores, it lets me set a static Multi of 25 and if I set it to one core, it lets me use a static Multi of 26. Unfortunately for me, I have a crap chip and anything over 4.4 is out of my reach. With HT Enabled and all four cores, 4.1 is mostly stable, but after that I have to give it so much voltage, its just not worth it. I can't boot at 4.5. :(

I am on the lookout for a known good overclocking chip. Hopefully I will get one. If not, maybe the "K" series will have people jumping off of their good chips.

I feel the same way. I believe I have a decent chip. It's just that 8GB of memory holding me back. I'm stable at 4.0 for now.

Intel supposed to come out with another series for the i7 not sure when it will hit the masses. I posted something on it awhile back.

Thanks guys. Yeah, I couldn't believe it. 4.80GHz...that's over 80% overclocked on air.

BTW Brutal-Force, I hadn't seen a thread of your new rig. You should lay it out as others may be able to help to achieve what you may have missed. It sucks when you get 2 crappy chip in a row.

Yeah, I figured as much too. I have just been bogged down with so many other projects. Documentation is also a drag. I know your a spreadsheet kind of guy, which is probably why you always "best" me. I have little patience it would seem.

I am currently working on my cooling situation. I definitely have achieved better cooling results. After I complete this, then I will focus back on my overclock and go through the long and tedious spreadsheet method you use and try to get some better numbers out of my i7.

Spreadsheet or taking notes really helps.
It documents of what I did or didn't, what was good and which went bad....and sometimes, all esle have fail.....just seat back reviewing that note might give me an idea of what might just works. :)

...haha...sometimes I wish it would just dies so I can have my "u know what".

yeah bro,....well, that because it hasn't been workingout lately. :attn:

I am currently Spread-sheeting my Over clock for your opinion.

Started Spreadsheet at:

1.275Vcore
1.60325 DRAM Voltage
1.25865 IMC
9-9-9-25 RAM Timings
677 DRAM (1354MHz)

I arrived at 3728MHz at 169X22 before my first Worker Failed. This was my starting point.

I have run Prime 95 for 10 min. on every setting and have noted BSODs and Worker Failures.

I have currently made it to:

3988MHz | 181X22 | 1.4Vcore |1.60325 DRAM | 1.325 IMC | 9-9-9-25 | 725 (1450MHz) DRAM

So far I seem in line with what I have had so far, except I have dropped my IMC by about 0.07V

I am going to continue, until I reach a wall, but at 10 min. Per Verification of a good clock speed, I will be a while. This is my 42nd Run. When my Spreadsheet is complete, I will transfer it from my Notebook to a spreadsheet for your inspection. Maybe you will be able to point out something I have missed.

As you already know...Turbo must be OFF beyond 175bclk due to rams in your case, right?
Your rams are rated 999-25 @ 1.65v right? Set as that for now...tighten them later if you can. (but you're going to hit its max around 4.4GHz....add more dram voltage or loosen it a little as needed like 9109-26 if you want to bench further)

I see that you're at 4GHz with 888-24...and if you set 1.60v for it....you may have a hard time moving forward.

What is your current settings in bios for other voltages? Brutal-Force, you're not asking for stability at 4.4GHz right? At that speed and beyond you may not like the scary voltages.
(FYI, I've been benching with 1.76~1.80v on ddr3 rams eventhough are rated as 1.65v)

Last edited:
Well my goal is stability. I have had my CPU to 4.4 stable enough to run super pi. But right now this is not benchmarking. This is about seeing what the max 24/7 clock is (or at least stable enough to run.)

Last stable setting 4060 | 184X22 |1.4375 Vcore| 1.65625 DRAM | 1.325 IMC | 9-9-9-25.

You did not notice my RAMs speed, you were looking at my sig. Ignore my sig.

You could aim for 4.2Ghz stability...but very thin after that.
Try 1.50vcore....1.37 or 1.39vtt
Most of the cpus that have noticed when it passed certain clock....just required a huge voltage for a small return of MHz.
Many would probably bash for what I've used for benching....but I didn't kill any of my cpu just yet. For the past month, my E84, E85, i3-540, i5-750 they have seen above 1.6vcore on air.
Well, that's for benching....but for eveyday use....1~1.3GHz overclocked from its stock speed is ideally.

BTW, if you're doing 24/7 at 4GHz....you could take an advantage your ram with 200x20 for 1600MHz speed.

Last edited:
Yeah, I think thats part of the problem. Most people when claiming their clocks really don't give all of the neccessary information on how they got there. It just baffles me when I see somone running at 4.4 on 1.35V Vcore, but no other information like Ram speed/timing or IMC Voltages.

So far I am at (I am at work so naming off the top of my head)

4106 | 186.6X22 | 1.46825V Vcore | 1.325 IMC | 10-10-10-27

This BSOD'ed after 15min. of Prime. But otherwise runs stable. Temps are of course hitting 88-90 degrees (During day in my house when ambients are warmer).

As for making better use of RAM speed. I turned down divider to get more headroom for overclock. Also, 20X200 runs warmer than 22X181. Why? Not sure, but it does.

Also anything past 4.0 and the temps and Vcore skyrocket (obviously linked). But I just want to "know" there is a stable 4.2 setting for me, then I will set back to 4.0

4106 | 186.6X22 | 1.46825V Vcore | 1.325 IMC | 10-10-10-27

Yeah, I head ya.....about others claiming.
Above setting probably need more vcore...but then problems with cooling. (that's why some turn off HT at higher clock...for cooler run)
At that, you may not need to loosen your timing that much. Try 999-26, 9109-26....if not...increase Vram voltage to 1.68~1.70.......( if would go further myself but you shouldn't try it)

I had timings at 9-10-9-26 per your suggestion and it BSODed right away.

I agree its probably Vcore/Temp related. I will try with HT turned off and see if it makes a difference when I get home from work.

Back