• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What would you do in my situation?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
IDK... I'm not very familiar with RAID arrays myself, but isn't it bad for performance to partition it?

It would be no different than partitioning a single drive, which has no impact on performance.

OK, likely the final update on this endeavor. I got the system back up and running. When I re-installed Windows7 Ultimate 64bit it saw my old Windows 7 installation and copied it to a folder called "windows7.old" which I wasn't aware it would do automagically. Pretty cool feature. I'll keep that for a couple weeks to make sure I got everything I need from it and eventually blow it away.

All my programs are re-installed and working.

I've started ramping up the overclock and this Asus board seems a bit better, or at least easier, than the Gigabyte board it replaced. It has features to auto adjust vdroop as well as Vcore based on my BCLK and multiplier settings. Right now I've got it running at 3.6Ghz which is higher than my old setup, and it's running a bit cooler at lower fan temps to boot. I changed my 120mm CPU cooler fan to a pull rather than push setup which helped for whatever reason. I read it made no difference but in my case it does. At full tilt of Prime95 it's a cool 68°C with an ambient room temp of 75° F.

I'll play with it the next few nights to see where it ends up. I'm thinking 4ghz would be a nice compromise for speed and stability.

New board was $89 shipped from Ebay and was an OEM new in box.

I added 8GB (2x4GB modules) of Crucial Vengeance memory to bring my total up to 12GB - $59 from Amazon

I wanted to go ahead and do dual monitors while this was all apart so I rearranged my desk and used a nice Acer spare monitor I already had (23" I think).

To run both monitors I went to a dual DVI out GT 520 graphics card. $48 from Amazon.

So all in all, I made some upgrades and got things repaired for cheap. At 3.8Ghz - 4Ghz and 12GB of memory this thing is PLENTY fast for everything I do with it. I'll do a test HD video encode to see how it does with that but even at the 3.4Ghz and 4GB of memory I had in it before it was encoding at a 1:1 ratio. 1 minute of encoding for every 1 minute of video time which I found acceptable.

I build and race cars and do a lot of how to videos for my website SpeedysGarage.

Oh and P.S. - I decided to load Office 2013 on it since it's well....2013. Man how terrible of an interface it is. BRIGHT white. It's like going back to the original Windows back in 1991. What was Micro$haft thinking? At least there are two other options, but they're both shades of grey.

Last edited:
Reversing the stock fan can make a difference, although not a big one, because it usually makes a difference when there's a deficiency with the airflow, which it obviously can't repair. But as it is, it may help not to be pulling the hot air that stagnates there, but rather to push it away, even if it doesn't exactly solve anything. Probably with a better airflow you would see a more significant drop, would you use push or pull. Each case is specific, and generalization is not helpful, though. Don't worry about it anyway, it looks fine to me with these temps.

Well, played around with the system a bit tonight and got the thing to run Prime95 @ 1 hour and 15 minutes stable at 4Ghz. Bclk 200 and Vcore at 1.36. Max temp recorded by RealTemp was 84°C and that was on a very quiet setting of all my fans. I can't even hear the system. I figured I'd start them on low and increase if needed. Pretty easy with this Asus board and with that I'm gonna call it good.

Now I'm gonna finish up organizing my e-mails and just enjoy the system. For some reason when I refired Outlook it pulled in 14,000 e-mails all the way back to 2009. No idea where they came from as I keep my Comcast e-mail cleaned out. They must have been stuck on the server somewhere.

Back