• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Video transcoding

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KonaKona

Trashcan Man Member
Alright I can't get media coder to play nice on 7, so I'm gonna have to use a different encoder. I need to convert some h264+aac mkv files (with subtitles, might I add) into MEPG/AAC mp4 files. mediacoder used to do this on XP if you had the right version (6.2 is the last I had that worked), the newer ones give you something about the file can't be muxed together or some BS, I'm tired of it.

What do?

I give up on media coder because so many profiles and/or codec combinations don't seem to work, neither on XP or W7. In the end making it work right was such a pain and waste of time that I decided to give up.
What I do now is to use a stand-alone encoding program that do the stuff without relying on system codecs, namely Any Video Converter.
Other programs that I know of and can do the job fine on W7x64 is SUPER 2010 Build 38 Free (yeah, silly name, I know, but seems to work) and AVS Video Converter (payed - should be around 60$).
These are the ones I use with good results on W7, but besides those you can find plenty over net.

Cool. I tried to convert an mkv with sub file to an avi but it did not work for me with megui or any mkv type tool I have.
I've since given up and decided to just update my divx player to an asus oplay.

Any Video Converter

Any Video Converter works for me and converts all kinds of MP4 and MKV files including H264, EMBEDDING the subtitle on the resulting AVI file. Actually is the first FREE program I found working flawless with such difficult tasks where even many payed programs fail. That's why I praise it so much.

More details about it here: http://www.filehippo.com/download_any_video_converter/

Funny thing is mkv is a far better container than either avi OR mp4. My dvd/divx player will not play mkv's so avc does work but the selectable sub in the mkv which I purposefully did NOT select was embedded anyways. Avc's font is sweet btw.
I tried removing it with mkvtoolnix but it would not play at all in mplayer and I only got audio in mpc.
I tried mkvmerge gui to demux and remux with toolnix and same thing. I have a 10+gb mkv of 'the professional' which needs NO conversion-lol.

To NOT have the subtitle embedded on Any Video Converter you need to delete the font from "c:\Program Files\Any Video Converter\mplayer\subfont.ttf". Make backup and put it back if you want subtitle. Also you can replace that with any other font renaming it.

Thanks. The mkv I converted to avi with avc seemed perfect on inspection & while playing it back on my pc. Unfortunately my divx player would only play the sound. I made it a 720x480 with the same fps (from 960x720) and subsequently deleted not only the original test mkv but avc as well.
oh well

Back