• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fresh Vista install, no more wireless

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pejsaboy

[SOLVED] Fresh Vista install, no more wireless

I decided to do a fresh install today to get a different partitioning scheme for some future plans, and ran into a problem. I'm using Vista home Premium x64, and the wireless card in question is a Linksys WMP54G, version 4.0. I have the same driver that I used previously, and have made NO hardware changes since the pc was built. Here's the rundown:

I've installed the network drivers and the INF drivers from Gigabyte's website, so the two NICs and the SM Bus are properly recognized in Device Manager. Even after installing the wireless driver (which worked for better than a year), my wireless NIC is showing as unrecognized with the yellow "?" in device manager. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the driver, including the Ralink wifi manager or whatever that comes with it, and the manager claims that the NIC isn't even connected to the pc. I've disabled/enabled as well as uninstall/installed the NIC through Device Manager, and I just can't get the driver to recognize the card. The only thing I've installed since the fresh Vista is Avast!, Firefox and my ATi drivers. I'm thoroughly baffled with the situation, any ideas?

Edit: Ok, I was finally able to force the card to use the driver through Device Manager, although I don't recall having to do that last time...

Last edited:
Back