• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wanting XP back!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

u13turbo

Registered
I had a legal copy of xp on my old computer, then i upgraded to a laptop, is there anyway that i can get a legal copy on my new computer build without paying the horrendous price? My computer is a very cheap build, and buying xp would cost like triple what all the parts have..:-/

Thanks

Also if i was too buy a hard drive with Xp installed and it is a legal copy, and i put it in my computer, would microsoft let me activate it on my build?

If you arne't using it on your old computer and it is not licensed from Dell/HP, you can use that license on your laptop.
Unless the laptop has the same hardware, it isn't recommended to move XP installations in that manner. If it really is a legal copy (without the OEM tie as mentioned above), you should be getting a CD for it, which you should use to do a fresh install. And no problems from MS in this case.

I can get a xp disc from a mate, but then it will ask for activation code... and i only have one that i use on m laptop, i dunno what happened to the one from old computer..

I think you got abit confused with what i said aswel, my laptop came with another version of xp, and my old one was just left, unused.

Last edited:
Xp is not that expensive. I see XP Pro OEM all over different forums and Craigs list for $60-75

Yeah $60-75.... My mobo and cpu cost $20, and i have all other parts lying around.

if you have a valid key on the old computer and it is still booting to XP, you can run a keyfinder app to extract the key. Then, as mentioned before, if it is decommissioned, you can reuse that key for new installation.

Yeah $60-75.... My mobo and cpu cost $20, and i have all other parts lying around.

Sorry, i did not realize. I thought you were talking about reatail price. If yo look long enough ive seen XP for 30-40. you just need to be in the right thread at the right time

Found a guy selling an old broken pc, comes with xp home COA and Product key, If i was to buy it, and use my XP disc, I should beable to use on my computer correct? thanks

Found a guy selling an old broken pc, comes with xp home COA and Product key, If i was to buy it, and use my XP disc, I should beable to use on my computer correct? thanks

If its an OEM copy no you can't use it on your computer, its licensed to the computer it was originally installed on.

If its a Retail copy it would probably work. Ask him if he bought XP seperately from the computer and if it was a retail copy (i.e. came with a manual and a full pretty box, not just a cd-key and the disk).

Although better yet, as others have already mentioned would be just buy a copy from Newegg and not risk wasting your money on something that may or may not be legit/work. Or get Linux for free. Or since this is presumably going on a new computer get Win7 so you can keep it around for a while and not be left behind.

Na its not a new computer, its just a budget build with second hand parts, thats why i dont wanna spend anything on it.. And i would go with Linux but its just such a hassle to use games on it.

Back