• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Slow Booting Up Windows Vista

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bc2-kagamine

Err, I asking this for my friend...
He use Windows Vista,
and he says his pc always stuck at the boot screen for over 2 mins
(or longer),
And he had to reboot it again and again!!
What is the issue?

Some possibilities:

1. slow hard drives make Vista very slow.

2. a bad driver that causes Vista to wait until it returns a bad status report

3. defective hardware that is returning an error status to Vista (memory, hard drive, DVD)

4. if its a laptop, then a slow hard drive combined with too many Vista functions (defrag, drive optimization, super prefetch, indexing, last time stamp) can
really slow Vista down. You can turn these functions off as well as upgrade to a faster HD.

Last edited:
My laptop has vista 64bit and 4gigs RAM. It originally came with a 250gig 5400RPM sata drive, but upgraded it 7200RPM 500gb WD drive. There was a slight improvement in boot-up time, but in the end it would still take over a minute to fully boot up.

It's a Vista thing you'll have to live with until you upgrade to Win7.

My laptop has vista 64bit and 4gigs RAM. It originally came with a 250gig 5400RPM sata drive, but upgraded it 7200RPM 500gb WD drive. There was a slight improvement in boot-up time, but in the end it would still take over a minute to fully boot up.

It's a Vista thing you'll have to live with until you upgrade to Win7.

Good, so it's not just me. I was thinking: "2 minute boot time... sounds about right."

Err, I asking this for my friend...
He use Windows Vista,
and he says his pc always stuck at the boot screen for over 2 mins
(or longer),
And he had to reboot it again and again!!
What is the issue?

Is he by chance running Norton Internet Security...the most bloated slow booting POS program of all time?

Back