• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HD Tune - "Read error! Test aborted."

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GTac02

I have been trying to clone my 64gb WD SSD to a caviar black 1TB i just got and every program i try fails at some point. The errors are always "read errors". As you can see in the screenshot ( http://oi51.tinypic.com/117bgue.jpg ) it always happens at the exact same place.
I cant clone this drive because of this. What does this mean and is there a way to fix it? Thanks.

Does the SMART tab show anything failed? It sounds like the drive is dying, if it is in the same spot.

This is new and just started happening. Where do i look at the "SMART" tab?, all i see is that S.M.A.R.T is enabled under the INFO tab. Is this likely for an SSD to be dying like this? I bought it less than a month ago.

Last edited:
Yes, that is the same tab...

You could try re-seating cables, but I doubt that is going to fix it. If it is failing in the same point, either something with the data on the drive is broken or the drive is having problems. The only real way to test this is by doing a complete wipe of the drive and see if it persists. Checking SMART data may also provide insight.

Can you try a different controller for either drive? I've been testing different controllers and have found that one won't let me use certain HDs if another HD is connected to a different controller. Connect both to the troublesome controller, and both drives are fine. Wierder yet, some WD drives work, others give read errors (identical except for firmware).

You could try some hard drive recovery utility, to see if it canfix whatever it is that is wrong. I myself have had success with Spinrite, but it is quite expensive.

You could try some hard drive recovery utility, to see if it canfix whatever it is that is wrong. I myself have had success with Spinrite, but it is quite expensive.

Spinrite got stuck "detecting" my hard drives once it was in DOS mode and all that.

Any suggestions anybody? Thanks.

Back