• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will 650W be enough for my 460 SLI?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks for replying. Each of the converter cables does three, that gives me a possibility of six, but the two video cards together are needing a total of eight molex terminations. Any ideas on whether the 1000w will be enough?

If you were using molex only to connect to each adapter, yes you will need 8 plugs. How old is your Antec PSU? The only 1000W one I can see is this . Looking at the cables, it should already have two 6 pin (+2 for an 8 socket) plugs and a single 6 pin plug, dedicated for graphics cards. That leaves you needing only one adapter using two molex plugs?

New to you? Or maybe Im wrong...

Dirt2, Stalker:COP, and Alien v Predator have it though.

You might be right...I nver look into the adavanced graphics settings that much since my 9800 GT can't run them. I can hardly wait for my GTX 470 in december.

There isnt a specific setting for it in game, but, Im pretty sure its there. I took a short google stroll last night and it seemed like it was.

New to the site and would like to ask whether you folks think I have enough power supply in this new system I'm putting together, my first since about 1995:

Asus P6T Deluxe V2 MoBo
Antec 1200 case
Antec 1000w psu
i7 950 CPU
12 GB RAM
120 GB SSD (1)
1T HD (2)
MSi N460GTX Hawk 1 GB GDDR5 Graphics Cards - SLI'd (2)

Reason I'm asking is the MSi box recommends 450W for just 1 video card. I sure appreciate any feedback I can get.

This is more then enough. It probably means that it recommends 450 for a whole system including the 1 video card.

Your 1000 w psu could handle at least 2 and probably even 3-4 video cards and overclocking the cpu and vga

Thanks for replying. Each of the converter cables does three, that gives me a possibility of six, but the two video cards together are needing a total of eight molex terminations. Any ideas on whether the 1000w will be enough?

The new PSU youre getting should have ALL of the plugs that work with your card, you shouldnt need any converters or anything.

http://www.guru3d.com/fullimage.php?image=25453

youre doing something wrong if youre getting a new psi and video card and think they will need extra cords.

this would be pretty much pointless... and a waste of time/money
Hey, people here waste money ALL the time. I mean, we've got people who can afford to spend 1000 USD to SLI the already fastest card out there right now :santa:

The 580 SLI: Finally possible to max out Crysis...

The new PSU youre getting should have ALL of the plugs that work with your card, you shouldnt need any converters or anything.

http://www.guru3d.com/fullimage.php?image=25453

youre doing something wrong if youre getting a new psi and video card and think they will need extra cords.

I was doing something wrong. Trying to use molex cables was a mistake. After some more research, I find that Antec recommends using one of the two red PCI-E connections for each video board and to use the PCI-e8 cables with the "extra" 2 cables peeled back and tied off. And, I am also reassured that the 1000W is more than enough to run anything on the computer. Now, all I have to worry about is running another 110v circuit from my power panel into my home office dedicated to the PC.

I'm an old-school guy getting some new schooling, which is always a good thing.

Thanks for all the help!!

Back