• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Genuinely stupid question.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

D33PJackal

Earlier today my younger brother got a hold of me over the phone with a question I felt stupid for not knowing the answer to. Why? Because I had never actually tried it.

Here is the short version:

He broke his laptop, dropped it on the ground and totally wrecked the screen and so forth. Accidental damage isn't included in his HP warranty, however he did backup the Windows 7 OS to a set of disks. However, as far as I know the backup discs you end up with from making them on HP contain a whole lot of nonsense. Meaning, they don't actually just install the OS but they install the 'computer' (OS, drivers, software, etc.) as it after leaving the factory. I can't confirm this since well... I can't, and he doesn't know because he isn't literate when it comes to building.

The reason why this matters?

He has a Vista desktop and he doesn't want to buy Windows 7. Now I am aware under the licensing agreement for MS you cannot use one copy of their software across multiple systems. However with his laptop destroyed, we can assume that he has a freed up license. Now... If he were to take those backup disks he made from the laptop and tossed them onto the PC does anyone reckon he could actually get Windows 7 installed on there without the hassle of having to deal with getting rid of a bunch of software formatted for the laptop?

I don't know where to ask, and I am pretty sure if he called HP they would tell him no out of spite in order to try and get him to return the laptop for repairs and pay a mint.

Nope won't work...even if it did install it would be an unholy mess. You would also be breaking the EULA

I know, but I feel like being brutal towards HP.

Never had a good experience with them, in fact I would say it was precisely because of my bad experiences with them that I got into building my own computers.

more likely it wouldnt even install.. those "backups" install drivers etc based off the system its supposed to be restoring... and since it wouldnt find the right hardware it would probably fail out.. or like trap said.. be an ungodly mess to fix after the fact.

the windows installed on a pre built computer like HP, Dell, ect. are all OEM installations. The manufacturer pays much less for these, however they are more restricted than what you buy in the store. Upside is you paid less than you otherwise would have when you bought the computer. Discussion on how to circumvent this is prohibited on OCforums.

Back