• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SSD OS Windows 7 ultimate

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

intel2.06

Registered
hey guys. quick newbie question if you don't mind..

i just installed my new Crucial sata III 64gb hard drive in my PC. so i erased everything off my existing caviar black that i was using for my OS. i installed windows on my SSD everything's working fine. my question is. how do i switch from everything i download over the internet or when i install programs, how can i set it up to it downloads and uses my caviar black HDD instead of my main OS hard drive. because its only 64 gigs, so i only wanna use it for my OS.

thanks guys!
intel2

Are you wanting to know how to specify the default download directory in IE8? If that's the case, then you'll need to edit the registry. Expand the following branch...

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer

... then double-click the Download Directory String Value name. In the Edit String window that opens, change the path in the Value data field accordingly.

Attachments

• RegEntry.JPG
    RegEntry.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 150
  • EditString.JPG
    EditString.JPG
    18.6 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
yea i think thats what im talking about. i judt dont know how to get where you went to change that. but i think i found out how to chnge my download source, only after i switched it it downloads to a files folder still in my C: drive. i want everything. downloads, files, and programs to go all in my D: drive.
thanks

Open the registry editor by typing regedit in the Start Search field, then expand the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer branch, just like you'd expand a branch in Explorer. After the branch is expanded, highlight the Internet Explorer key like in the pic. I posted above.

Firefox--> Tools-> Options--> General tab--> Downloads--> Save files to, then browse to the specific directory.

For programs that you install, just do as normal untill it shows the default install location which is always C:\and so on with the cursor at the end. Just use the left arrow key to move cursor all the way left, delete the C and enter a D, it will create any needed folders on the D: drive.

Back