• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Display individual CPU core usage / fully configure WinXP for multiple CPU cores

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
Two questions:

1. What is a good app for displaying individual CPU core usage on Windows XP?

2. I know that usage of multiple CPU cores depends on the program (application) being used (if it is written for multiple CPU cores or not), I know it doesn't depend on WinXP vs Win7 or 32-Bit vs 64-Bit, but does Windows XP have to be configured like this to make full use of multiple cores?

http://forum.notebookreview.com/sag...p-multi-core-config-does-your-oem-do-you.html

i don't think so, when i was using xp in task manager i could see all 4 cores of my Q6600

when i was using xp in task manager i could see all 4 cores of my Q6600

Where?

Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme 1366 RT with 120mm Scythe S-Flex F fan
ASUS EAH4850 Radeon HD 4850 1GB DDR3 @ 625 MHz GPU & 1986 MHz Memory
OCZ Agility 60GB SSD
Asus Xonar DX sound card
Antec nine hundred case, two front 120mm fans, one back 120mm Fan, one top 200mm fan
Corsair CMPSU-750TX 750W

Attachments

• XPTaskManager.jpg
    XPTaskManager.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 662
That's it. You have 8 graphs, one for each core (well, 4 + HT).

IIRC, there is an upper limit on how many cores task manager can display, however. I can't find any source on this, though (I definitely recall reading that either in Vista or 7, the limit was increased some more)

You can change this in:
View -> CPU History

That's it. You have 8 graphs, one for each core (well, 4 + HT).

IIRC, there is an upper limit on how many cores task manager can display, however. I can't find any source on this, though (I definitely recall reading that either in Vista or 7, the limit was increased some more)

You can change this in:
View -> CPU History

if im not mistaken xp can only handel up to 2 PHYSICAL cpu's .... but a single quad... notta problem. But really why use xp when win 7 is so much better :chair:

You are confusing casual readers with that :).

1. Windows XP rocks and will be officially supported until after Windows 8 is released.
2. It doesn't matter if you use Win7 or WinXP or 32-Bit or 64-Bit - all handle multiple cores but only if the program or a game was specifically written to take advantage of multiple cores. It is the program/game you use - not the operating system deciding to use multiple cores.

Back