• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Watercooling Advice for Core i7-930 & GTX285 (Please)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
GTX 285 GPU Block: EK Nickel $26.41 New

Akteriel - I saw this when I was at MicroCenter last weekend, it's in store only but they have them at a few of their other stores around the U.S.A. (check website and pick a store location). If you don't live near a MicroCenter maybe you know someone that does and can buy and ship it to you.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0308631

Gotta love Microcenter. Don't have anyone who lives near enough to one to make it worth my while, though.

Plus, correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's for a Rev1 card, and I have a Rev2.

EDIT: Yeah, it is for a Rev 1 card. Just like THIS ONE. A Rev2 EK FC285 looks like THIS.

Conumdrum: Ok. I won't worry about it then. Think the KazeMaster might have an RPM function but I don't know how much it matters for the rear fans. Close enough for government work is, well, close enough.

Gotta love Microcenter. Don't have anyone who lives near enough to one to make it worth my while, though.

Plus, correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's for a Rev1 card, and I have a Rev2.

EDIT: Yeah, it is for a Rev 1 card. Just like THIS ONE. A Rev2 EK FC285 looks like THIS.

Conumdrum: Ok. I won't worry about it then. Think the KazeMaster might have an RPM function but I don't know how much it matters for the rear fans. Close enough for government work is, well, close enough.

That sucks, that's a good a price for that block. You can't beat some of their in store sales. I live near one, I just picked up a Feser Monsta Extreme rad for $139.

Check out the Skythe Kaze Server, I've been using one for a couple months now and I like it. It's an auto controller, only takes up one bay and is rated 12w/1a per channel.

Whichever controller you get, don't forget to check out the power rating per channel so you know how many fans you'll be able to put on each channel.

In case your fans and the controller aren't both rated in the same measurement (watts or amps) here's a formula for converting Watts to Amps:

Watts = Amps x Volts

A quick reference to remember is that 12w = 1a @ 12v

That sucks, that's a good a price for that block. You can't beat some of their in store sales. I live near one, I just picked up a Feser Monsta Extreme rad for $139.

Check out the Skythe Kaze Server, I've been using one for a couple months now and I like it. It's an auto controller, only takes up one bay and is rated 12w/1a per channel.

Whichever controller you get, don't forget to check out the power rating per channel so you know how many fans you'll be able to put on each channel.

In case your fans and the controller aren't both rated in the same measurement (watts or amps) here's a formula for converting Watts to Amps:

Watts = Amps x Volts

A quick reference to remember is that 12w = 1a @ 12v

Ha. I remember that formula. It's engraved in my memory from my time as an electrician. Thanks, though. :)

You're welcome. I'm an electrician too.

:rock::salute::beer:

Cheers. :)

I decided on the KazeMaster, since I'm not a fan of touchscreens (I like the physical feedback of the knobs) - here's to hoping the knobs are short enough to let my case door close.

Ordered that and my TIM; waiting on a couple more dollas before I order everything else.

Question: how has people's personal experiences with Bitspower Reservoirs turned out? The EK multioptions apparently have some bleeding and cyclone difficulties, but I haven't seen any issues with the Bitspowers.

I want to fit the 250 in my case, but I think I only have room for the 150... :(

Parts ordered. Should be here by the first part of next week. Then the build log. :D I'll keep you up to date.

Fits just fine in my case.

Everything is here; cutting the case to accommodate the rads is in progress. I should have everything mostly together and be able to begin leak testing tomorrow.

Can anyone tell me how to determine or where to find out which ports are intakes and outflows for the rads and the MCW80?

Interesting. I could see where it would not make a difference on the rads, since they're symmetrical, but the MCW80 definitely has one tube that is longer than the other.

Case mods are done, everything is in place, the CPU block is attached to the mobo (with MX-2 for now; I'll switch to Indigo Xtreme after leak testing), and then I realized,

How do I fill the **** thing? My reservoir is pretty much at the bottom of the loop, since that's about the only place I can put it. I can put another barb + tube + fillport on it, running to the top of the case, but that's going to be a headache for cable management.

Are there any suggestions as to how to fill this setup? I'll post a picture if it would help.

The reservoir is mounted horizontally, since that's pretty much the only way I can get it to fit, so adding water to it might be a bit of a challenge...

Are you saying that my equipment is too big? Aw, man! I thought that bigger was always better?

Naw, it's a Bitspower Multi-Z 150 res.

I did actually manage to run a tube up to the top of the case off the back of the res, and it doesn't interfere with cable management much more than any of the rest of the tubing. It's just below the level of the rad, but I think it'll be ok - the highpoint rad is just past the pump in the loop so it'll get filled first. I'm waiting for a fillport from DD, and figuring out how to drill these last few holes in the case, and then it's leak testing, indigo xtreme, and OC time.

Hrm. Is there such a thing as a 90 degree BSPP barb fitting? Otherwise it might have to be a compression fitting, which is possible; I'd rather just have all the fittings match.

EDIT: Nevermind, found it.

(Any objections?)

Everything except the connection from the second rad to the reservoir is in place. Waiting on the fitting now.

How tight should the EK Supreme thumbnuts be? Is there a specific distance from the top of the nut to the top of the screw?

Last edited:
Doesn't matter so much about being able to change the orientation afterwards. It's going on the rad outside the box, and it's staying where it is. I don't anticipate any need to turn it.

Plus, since space is a bit tight, the Bitspower barb is a bit flatter.

Back