• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Program Files (x86)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

drunkendude

Registered
Hello, I just did a clean reinstall of vista 64bit. Im putting all my programs back on to my hard drives. I want to put my games on my 2nd hard drive. How can I make a Program Files(x86) file so my games will load into that file?

Tyring to reinstall COD4. when I reinstall it goes to my C drive like it should, but I dont want it there. I want it on my E drive, but when I download it to E drive, it just goes into a program file and im having trouble running in now.

Hope all this make since. sorry new to compters. Learning alot, getting better)

You may have to edit the registry to modify the default location of that folder since it is on C:\ (as you have seen).

Back up the key before you do anything, in case you need to do a restore of the values prior to editing.

Open regedit, and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
Note the value of ProgramFilesDir(x86) and change it to the desired drive letter. You may need a reboot to have the changes take effect (never hurts).

Back