• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Many issues with my DFI Lanparty UT

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

doubledragon5

Registered
This is the board I replace my ASUS A8N32-Sli Deluxe some time ago.. So far up to now it has ran fine.. Lately I have had a lot of BSOD, and found some of my drivers have been out of date. But it also has a issue with shutdowns it will not do it most of the time.. So I ran memtest86 and it checked out ok. But when I ran windows version it said there was issues with the memory. I called Corsair and reported what I did find with memtest86, First it reports my voltage as 2.60v, they said that was fine. Then the timings were reading as 3-3-3-7 instead of 2-3-3-6. They said that was fine as well, as I'm running two par of 1gig sticks to equal 4.

So someone on another forum suggest I ran something like asus probe. Now I know it only supports asus boards, so I installed Sis Sandra.. When I ran the test it does give a warning for my cpu. Stating the vcore is rated less than minimum.. They readings in the bios read as follows.

CPU Core Voltage 1.35v
LDT Bus Voltage 1.22v
Chip Set Voltage 1.54v
Dram 2.5 Voltage 2.80

I have a Athlon 64x2 4800+ Do you see any thing here that would throw a red flag? I also plan on testing the memory in pairs later on this week.. Corsair says one could be bad, if it comes to that, they will just replace the bad pair Thanks in Advance..

Some things...

Don't see anything dramatically out of sorts for the voltages you list.

Questions to answer regarding memory/system stability.

1. Have you run MemTest86+ five full times test 1-8?
2. Have you run MemTest86+ test #5 & test #8 for at least 50 loops?
3. Have you run Prime95 torture test (blend) for at least 8 hours?
4. Have you run the full suite of 3DMark tests (01, 03, 05 and 06)?

Link to good memory testers.
Memtest86+ version available to test memory from DOS before windows boots. No errors should appear.

Another freeware, memory tester that will run from within windows. Tough, tough to get memory to pass this test and if it does there is likely no problem with memory. Read the manual for directions on how to run the tester.

How to handle and interpret BSODs on Windows Just one of many gOOgle hits for interpret BSOD.

I'd manually set the RAM to 2-3-3-6 with the speed (400) and voltage (2.70v) set manually as well.

Regardless of the BIOS setting, what does CPU-Z show for vCore at load?

How are your load core and NB temps? Shouldn't be a problem but you never know with older rigs. ;)

PS
Are the MOSFETs more than warm to the touch?

What QuiteIce said! Also, Make sure the command rate is at 2T, even though DFI made some of the only boards reported to run 1T with 4DIMMS. Also While it sounds weird, Try pulling the power, setting the bios jumper to clear the CMOS and pulling the bios battery for 15 minutes.

I had similar issues with my AB9 QuadGT, it had BSOD/Random issues that for some reason would clear up temporarily after a full reset. While I think it was more than likely my Ballistix failing again (being RMA'd now), resetting everything might help.

Thanks for all the replys. Well I haven't ran memtest for 50 loops, wasn't sure it runing it for more than a few passes was needed.. I plan on doing this over the weekend on my days off, which won't be until the 24-25 unless I get out of work early.. I will also manually change the timings as well.. I as for temps they all seem to be ok mid to lower 30's if you need I can post those as well.. Quiet Ice, hopefully sometime this yr I can actually afford to build a new rig.. But with the youngest expecting our first grand child, it will be tough, as she still lives at home, and will need help for sure.. Thanks guys when I get home from work tonight I will try and do everything you asked.. If not today, then on my time off for sure..

From DFI troubleshooting folder...

"DD5", you mention that you are likely to test your individual kits and even single sticks of ram. The information listed below is so for over 97% of the boards as reported over the years in various DFI forums and from DFI tech support.

Arrangement of memory in an NF4 dual channel 939 motherboard by DFI. This does not include the Infinity series but the NF4 series including the newer Expert and Venus series. Also includes the RDX200 CF-DR and the newer CFX3200-DR.

May use one stick in the Orange slot futherest from the cpu. It will be single channel. Sometimes may use one stick in the Orange and the Yellow slot furtherest from the cpu. It will be two stick single channel.

Never can use single stick in Orange slot closest to cpu. Will never work.
Never can use single stick in Yellow slot closest to cpu. Will never work.

In order to use memory in dual channel which is what the memory controller in the processor expects; you should FIRST put sticks in the Orange slots. This will be true for greater than 90% of ALL memories.

You may put memory in the Orange slots and run dual channel BUT you cannot put three (3) sticks of memory in the board and have it work.

Basically 1 stick Orange slot furtherest from cpu.
2 sticks using both Orange slots.
4 sticks using Orange and Yellow slots with attention to details of memory configuration settings in bios.

Those actually are the only valid memory stick combinations. Except sometimes two sticks in the Orange and Yellow slots furtherest from cpu will work as single channel only.

Remember I said for more than 97% of that board's users, the outline above held true.

Thanks RGone, so far I have reset the timings they now read 2-3-3-7. For some reason on this board there is no option to set it to 6. changed CL from 3T-2T. Also changed Dram voltage to 270v,again can't change it to 2.75v. Next I will test the ram with memtest 86 again, and run a stress test on the machine itself.. I for one rarely touch the bios settings, but this board is more confusion than my ASUS board was...

Further Stuffz

Lately I have had a lot of BSOD, and found some of my drivers have been out of date. But it also has a issue with shutdowns it will not do it most of the time... In one of my previous posts there was linked information on trying to determine the cause of BSOD.

Shutdowns sound like Temps or perhaps a failing power supply. In my experience, shutdowns have not been memory related. If the computer just turns off by itself without warning...I would test memory if you like but I tend to think the issue is elsewhere. You might even open the case and run with side cover off and see if the time before 'shut down' is extended. Could give a direction for troubleshooting.

LINK>> ITE Smart Guardian for Windows XP32Bit /XP64Bit / Vista 32Bit / Vista 64Bit(for LanParty NF4 and LanParty UT NF4 Series only).
Similar to something like Asus Probe. Cpu Voltage, Ram Voltage, CPU Temp etc.

Rgone here are my temps

CPU 31c
PWM Area 35c
Chip set 35c

Funny right after I clicked the link you posted my computer BSOD again.. Now I will analyze mini dump again to see what it says.. Also when running prime95 after 15 minutes windows would tell me that prime95 stopped working..

TEMPS Seem FINE...

Turn OFF the "Automatically restart" checkbox. When the system BSODs you will then be able to SEE the crashdump on screen. This is important as you can typically SEE the offending driver that is causing the fault. More importantly is that it allows you to see the TYPE of fault. If you don't do this, the system will automatically restart and you will miss this vital information.

So if you get the BSOD to remain and you can then copy down the STOP error message. Then you can go here to more readily check for a problem without trying to debug the mini-dump.

TROUBLESHOOTING WINDOWS STOP MESSAGES

Found the problem.First I called Corsair, their tec support had me go into bios and manual set ram settings.. Cas 2 5-3-3-7. Tested each stick individually and the fourth one failed, during the sixth test. So tomorrow will call them again, get RMA and send two back..

RG should I leave ram settings alone after my new sticks arrive.. The settings are not what I mentioned LOl.. They are CAS 2.5 3-3-7-7 as reported in CPUZ. Also quietice asked and I did not mentioned CPU Volts as reported in CPUZ 1.328

"RG should I leave ram settings alone after my new sticks arrive..."<< nothing wrong with loading OPTIMIZED Defaults and using those ram settings with the addition of "disabling CPC" in bios since that normally sets 2T and four sticks makes that a near necessity. Using Optimized defaults lets the motherboard read the ram SPD and set timings according to that and if is set to 2.5, 3, 3, 7 or 8 will show little real difference compared to 2, 3, 3, 6 in day to day use. Even four sticks at 3, 3, 3, 8 will likely do fine and is what most ram available today will run and most I have seen that is reasonable in price is actually 3, 4, 4, 8 as I thought to put 4 gigs in instead of the 3 gigs I now run in my Ultra-D.

"CPU Volts as reported in CPUZ 1.328" << nothing wrong with that since those older procesors have 1.325 or 1.50 as their default voltage.

Good luck man an hopefully you will soon be 4 gig happy computering again...

PS: an afterthought just came to me as I was finishing the post.

I would install "just" the new ram and read its' SPD or ram timings in CPU-z and see if the ram you get in the RMA deal is the same as what you already have. I say thing because "most" of the CAS 2 ram seems gone. Of course Corsair could have a stockpile of the tighter ram for RMA's only, but you never know and if the ram you get is say 3, 3, 3 8 or 3, 4, 4, 8 and not like your original, then you will have to run old and new ram at the looser timings of the later ram. Just so you don't put new and old ram in and run into a problem. And do remember that when using 2 sticks only...use the Orange slots. RGone...

Last edited:
I've got one of those boards only its the Ultra-D, been running it for years with an opty 180. I had that same problem and found it was a windows problem not hardware, a clean install cured it.
If you have a spare hard drive do a clean install on that and see if it cures it before trashing your usual drive

I've got one of those boards only its the Ultra-D, been running it for years with an opty 180. I had that same problem and found it was a windows problem not hardware, a clean install cured it.
If you have a spare hard drive do a clean install on that and see if it cures it before trashing your usual drive

Got my rma today, so hopefully things will work out when the new ram gets here.. Although I have noticed of the last few days, by OS acting a little strange.. For starters every time I boot up my firewall keeps on telling me it found a new wireless connection. Then each time I log onto a page like here, I have to keep on logging in.. Funny thing is I haven't even deleted any cookies or anything.. So maybe a reinstall of the os after the ram gets here might be in store..

Update

Talked to Corsair today. They no longer have my memory in stock, that I sent back. So they are going to send me 4 gigs of this model CMC2GX1M2A400C3. When they arrive I will send the other two back.. Not bad, most companies would not do that unless you have a problem with the others. I asked them how this new set would run with my other set, currently in my rig. Being that their 2-3-3-6 timings and these are going to be 3-3-3-8, I was not 100 percent, but slightly concerned that this mb would have a problem with unmatched pairs. So they decided it would be best to just ship another set along, and return the others when the new ones arrive, so my machine would not be down for any length of time...

It sounds...

sounds like they are actually going to get you to the point you have 4 sticks alike. If they had not you likely could have copied the SPD of the newer sticks to the 2 left over original sticks and all would have been okay that way as well. Good luck to you as it all seems to come together.

sounds like they are actually going to get you to the point you have 4 sticks alike. If they had not you likely could have copied the SPD of the newer sticks to the 2 left over original sticks and all would have been okay that way as well. Good luck to you as it all seems to come together.

Thanks RG, never new you could do that.. But heck, 4 of the same is better than 2 LOL... And I have not had a single issue since I sent back the first pair...

Back