• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sandybridge Chipset Design Flaw and Recall- MUST READ

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
From what I've read so far its only affecting the P67's not the H's. See below:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/31/intel-finds-sandy-bridge-chipset-design-flaw-shipments-stopped/

That engadget article doesn't have a ton of information. Check out the 2 articles on anandtech, I imagine their confrence calls with intel are a bit more acurate than " Jimmy sent us a chat log with an Intel customer service representative".

The flaw is with a transistor in the PLL Clocking tree for the 3Gbps ports. Presumably since both P67 and H67 PCH's have the same specs as far as those ports go they use the same flawed design. Although it sounds like its only in B stepping chips, so maybe one or the other wouldn't be affected, but if thats the case I would imagine Intel would be making that distinction instead of telling people both are affected.

Quick sum up of the issue is:

#1: You will not lose any Data
#2: The two SATA 3 ports are not faulty
#3: Intel expects a 5-15% SATA 2 Port Failure rate over 3 years

I'm not sure how you're trying to play this... but all I can say is that they sure as hell can't keep all of the "lame" * products on the market.

* Lame as in the horse term meaning un-rideable, unusable.

What a bummer. I was going to pull the trigger on a p67 mobo this week. Maybe I will have to change gears and make my new build an AMD. I don't want to wait til march. bah.

Got this from Intel. :rain:

Intel Recommends Channel Customers Stop Building and Shipping Systems based on Intel® 6 Series Chipsets
As a result of the design issue recently identified with the Intel® 600 Series Chipset, we are recommending that system
builders stop building and shipping systems based on this chipset until additional information becomes available.

If you have already shipped systems to your customers based on the Intel® 6 Series Express Chipset and the
C200 chipset and believe you may be affected by this issue, please contact your place of purchase for specific
information about next steps.

For additional information about the nature of the issue, the cause and scope of the issue, and other general
information, click here.

Luckily I've only built two machines using SB.

They don't want to deal with returns when people figure out they can't buy motherboards.

Either that or to help avoid prices going through the floor. I don't know how much of their pricing is automated, but it certainly seems like some merchants like Amazon have automated pricing that moves based on other retailers and their own inventory. Inventory low = price goes up. Newegg has a sale = amazon has a sale. I could see something happening where products get flagged as having extra stock and no sales in days/weeks get autodiscounted which causes other retailers to auto react and slash prices and still no one is buying so down prices go again...

Sandy Bridge be aware!

Hey guys, for those in the process of putting together a new Intel system based on Sandy Bridge (like me) :bang head here is some interesting information that I found.
Thanks god i left the motherboard for the last....

Q: What’s the problem?

A: Some of the SATA ports that come off of the Intel 6-series PCH or Peripheral Control Hub may begin producing errors over time. The problem isn’t immediate, but can happen over time. That means that a port that is working fine today, may start to generate data errors. This will affect performance and the port may simply stop working over time. Increased thermals and voltage on the ports may also contribute to the port failing sooner. The only good news is that ports 0/1 are unaffected by the bug.

Q: Is it the actual Sandy Bridge CPU that’s bad?

A: No. Intel said the problem is not the CPU, but the chipset. However, one thing that we don’t know yet is why Intel said it should only affect those with Core i5 and Core i7 processors. That implies that 6-series with Core i3 is fine. We are still waiting for more details.

Q: How did Intel find it?

A: The company said it came to light last week when customers, either OEMs or board vendors, brought it to Intel's attention. Intel labs was able to verify the problem and the decision was made yesterday to halt shipment of the parts.

Q: How is Intel going to fix this?

A: The company is correcting the problem in silicon and is in process of fabbing new chipsets without the problem. The bad news: boards and systems with the fixed chip will likely not be available for at least a month.

Q: Is the chipset in my motherboard or notebook impacted?

A: Intel didn’t get into specifics this morning but the short answer is probably yes. However, one aspect of the problem is that it may only manifest itself on occasion. That is, some boards may exhibit the issue, while others will not. The problem seems to be unpredictable and only after three years, Intel projected 5 percent failures but said heavier use could accelerate the issue.

Q: So my notebook is bad?

The good news is that most notebooks only have two SATA ports which happen to run on ports 0/1. But as we said, that’s most notebooks. Some notebooks that use more than ports 0/1 or that used the others ports would be affected.

Q: Can this be fixed with a new BIOS or some other firmware update?

A: No. The problem is a hardware issue that cannot be fixed without replacing the affected chipset on the system. Since you can’t simply replace a chipset in a motherboard, the only way to fix it would be to complete replace the motherboard.

Q: So which ports are bad on my motherboard again?

A: Intel’s PCH supports six ports. Of those, ports 0/1 are unaffected. These are also the SATA 6Gb/s ports. The remaining four SATA 3Gb/s ports may or may not exhibit the breakdown over time. Many motherboards also support additional ports using third-party controllers such as Marvell’s SATA 6Gb/s. These would be unaffected. eSATA ports on the rear of the motherboard should also be unaffected as those mostly use third-party controllers from Jmicron.

Q: What is Intel going to do to make me whole?

A: That’s not completely clear at this point. Intel said this morning that: “Intel stands behind its products and is committed to product quality. For computer makers and other Intel customers that have bought potentially affected chipsets or systems, Intel will work with its OEM partners to accept the return of the affected chipsets, and plans to support modifications or replacements needed on motherboards or systems.” However, motherboard and PC vendors we spoke with this morning had no guidance on the topic yet. Stay tuned to this FAQ to find out what vendors will be doing.

Q: Will my motherboard vendor replace my motherboard?

A: That’s not known. As of this morning, board vendors had stopped shipping 6-series boards. They were being updated by Intel on details of the problem. Whether board vendors would replace the boards or not is not known yet so stay tuned. On pure speculation though, it’s quite possible that vendors may offer to replace the board with one with the newer spin of the chipset once they are available. They may also opt to let the consumer extend the warranty instead of replacing the board. Again, this is pure speculation, but we know from previous experience that you shouldn’t always expect vendors to simply replace it.

Q: My system has the chipset, will my OEM replace the motherboard?

A: That’s not clear. We’ve talked to numerous OEMs who were also in the dark about the issue. No matter what, we suspect the solutions won’t be pretty. Even if the OEMs agree to replace the boards on Intel’s dime, there’s still down time and dealing with shipping a system back and forth and the risk of data loss. It’s possible, and we are just speculating here, that the fix will be an increased warranty to say, three years. If the ports fail within that period, the OEM will repair it. If it doesn’t fail, then maybe it wasn’t that bad in the first place. We are speculating here because in previous bad chip situations, an outright replacement is usually something vendors are resistant to doing.

Q: This sounds like a class-action lawsuit in the making.

A: How Intel will make people whole isn’t known yet, but yes, we suspect that someone unhappy with how this turns out will certainly file suit.

Q: Is it OK to practice schadenfreude now and prance about why I’m so lucky I built an AMD system or X58 box?

A: Yes. The full schadenfreude effect is in place. Please feel free to dance about forums and post about how it sucks to not be you. Just remember that schadenfreude (deriving pleasure from the misfortune of others) often leads to Karmic justice.

Q: Will Intel be creating a new chipset model with the fix so we can know when it's safe to buy a motherboard for Sandy Bridge?

A: Intel will not create a new chipset model, and a re-spin of the silicon will correct the issue, the company said. OEM's have privately told us that the B3 spin of the 6-series chipset is not impacted, but we have not been able to confirm that with Intel. As far as buying a system, notebook or board with the issue; the vast majority of stores and OEMs have already halted shipment of Sandy Bridge-based systems. Systems and boards will likely not start shipping until the fix is in.

Q: Is this the first time Intel has had a chipset problem of this proportion?

A: Actually no. Although the 6-series chipset screwup may be the worst in dollar amount, Intel actually blew it on the “Cape Cod” CC820 chipset back in 2000. That Pentium III chipset was designed to sidestep resistance to Direct RDRAM. The CC820 took the “Vancouver” 820 chipset and integrated a Memory Translator Hub so that the RDRAM-only chipset would work with SDRAM. Unfortunately, bugs in the chipset forced Intel to recall chipsets and boards based on the CC820. The final tune for that mistake was $253 million which adjusted for inflation would be roughly $312 million.

Visit the following URL if you prefer to read the information directly from the source. http://www.maximumpc.com/article/ne..._questions_intels_sandy_bridge_chipset_fiasco

I think the only company who's stock wouldn't drop upon announcing a Billion dollar mistake would be Apple -- they would manage to spin it such that people would just buy defective products anyway and then buy a second one once it was fixed.

The comment about is meant someone in jest, but seriously a potential Billion dollar loss is definitely gonna move markets.

I wonder how this problem will affect graphics card prices, seeing as how I'm in the market for one.

Now ALL the SB boards are gone from NewEgg,I guess what NewEgg told me wasn't the case..

I am updating the OP with more pertinant information, so if you guys recommend I add any other links or information to the first post just let me know.

Dom

It seems my decision to wait for more mature motherboards for 1155 paid off in an entirely unexpected way. Definitely sucks to be amongst the affected, which looks to be pretty much everyone :(

so I don't mind waiting until it all eventually gets sorted out and presumably they ship everyone new motherboards.

No way. It'll get sorted via a bios update or something like that at BEST. There's no way they're recalling millions of PCB's. Especially considering we're talking about a chipset that's been used by like, what, 25+ mfg's and OEMs?

What about Bob McOblivious who bought a 'fast intel thingy' Dell last week. Do you think he even knows what Sandybridge is?

These bad boards will stay out there and many of them will never be patched if such a patch comes out.

People who are too stupid to have a computer, which is 95% of people with a computer, will never even know about this recall, let alone act on it.

Do you think MSI and Gigabyte are going to track you down and have someone phone you at home repeatedly until they can convince you to be without a mobo for a month while they ship you a new one?

Even when there's a huge amount of lead and arsenic in a child's toy most of those don't come back either. Too many people are too stupid.

I hope that what the Newegg rep told you was legit, as my P67 is an Asrock.

I wonder where newegg got that information...

She was probably speculating since the ASROCKs was the only board left for sale other than a couple MSI and ASUS..

My ASROCK is running great,I moved over to the Marvel ports for now,im sure we will get new shiny boards:)

On NewEgg, as far as 1155 socket boards, I'm still seeing Asus, AsRock, and MSI boards, but no Gigabyte boards.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ption=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&srchInDesc=

Edit:
I was at my buddy's house over the weekend, and after hanging out and talking for a while he was thinking of upgrading his PC to SB. This morning he sent me an email saying he went for it:

1 x VGA ASUS|ENGTX460 DIRECTCU/2DI/1GD5 $179.99

1 x MB ASUS|P8P67 LE P67 LGA1155 R $129.99

1 x CPU INTEL|CORE I5 2500K 3.3G 6M R $224.99

1 x MEM 2Gx2|GSK F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ R $47.99

He probably won't experience this error, but I still feel like an *** for suggesting this "awesome" new platform.

:chair: Actually, the most gripes on this forum regarding P67 have been on P8P67 series Asus boards. :fight:

I hope that what the Newegg rep told you was legit, as my P67 is an Asrock.

I wonder where newegg got that information...

Either his rear end or someone else's, I assure you. ASrock is ASUS black-ops. There's no way it's not the exact same chip.

No way. It'll get sorted via a bios update or something like that at BEST. There's no way they're recalling millions of PCB's. Especially considering we're talking about a chipset that's been used by like, what, 25+ mfg's and OEMs?

What about Bob McOblivious who bought a 'fast intel thingy' Dell last week. Do you think he even knows what Sandybridge is?

These bad boards will stay out there and many of them will never be patched if such a patch comes out.

People who are too stupid to have a computer, which is 95% of people with a computer, will never even know about this recall, let alone act on it.

Never thought about the mass sale corporate and government type sales. Lets just pray for everyones sake that many businesses and local governments didnt order new Cougar Point PC's for the office buildings. Personally, I dont think this is going to be a huge deal for the consumer (us), I just think it is going to be a financial problem for all of the companies, Intel of course will be hit hard. And like you said, lets pray that SB didnt hit the shelves of thousands of corporate and gov end users, that would be a fiscal and logistical nightmare for Intel, Dell, etc. I am assuming since it is a rather new chipset, that you will have very few people with the recall, with the exception of enthusiasts like overclockers.com people like us, I have a feeling the governments didnt get these yet, and think about the mainstream PC market, people really arent buying PC's like they used to anymore. Lets just pray this is quarantined already and they have a lock on a minor situation.

Do you think MSI and Gigabyte are going to track you down and have someone phone you at home repeatedly until they can convince you to be without a mobo for a month while they ship you a new one?

Even when there's a huge amount of lead and arsenic in a child's toy most of those don't come back either. Too many people are too stupid.

Well I didn't mean literally that they would track you down and force you to accept a new motherboard, just that they would be available to anyone that wanted one.

Its a physical problem so they won't be solving it via a bios update. Intel has set aside 700 million dollars to fix the problem, which as anadtech points out is like 90 bucks per person for the 8 million that have shipped so far. I hope they can buy more than a new bios for that.

Back