• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sandybridge Chipset Design Flaw and Recall- MUST READ

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I am updating the OP with more pertinant information, so if you guys recommend I add any other links or information to the first post just let me know.

Dom

Good info for the community to know. I posted a news article based on this thread, linking back here, so expect more attention soon. It's on the front page now... ;)

(Thanks EarthDog)

I wonder now how I should set up my dvd burner.

Is the Marvell sata 6gb/s controller that crappy?

I know now to put 60gb SSD as my boot drive on the first Intel 6gb/s sata slot, and my storage drive on the other Intel 6gb/s sata slot.

But for my DVD burner, better to use one of the 3.0 sata slots on the chance it may stay good until a revision board comes around? Or should I enable the Marvel sata 6.0 just for use with the burner?

Sigh

You can still find Sandy Bridge boards and processors on Amazon.com as of now. After reading about this problem and this thread this morning, I looked around and all the big e-tailers have pulled their stuff but no Amazon (so far at least). So if you want to build a system with a potentially defective board or already have your board and are looking for a processor, Amazon still has them for sale.

I know now to put 60gb SSD as my boot drive on the first Intel 6gb/s sata slot, and my storage drive on the other Intel 6gb/s sata slot.

But for my DVD burner, better to use one of the 3.0 sata slots on the chance it may stay good until a revision board comes around? Or should I enable the Marvel sata 6.0 just for use with the burner?

Sigh
I really dont think it matters on the optical. Its through put is so slow that it would take a considerable amount of degredation in order for you to even notice. By then, your board will be replaced or returned likely.

Sigh

Don't think it matters to much for optical,I kept that on the 3gb/s slot..only problem I had after switching my SSD and my storage drives over to the 6GB/s was I had to use IDE mode not sure if that matters but performance did not take a hit..

Install the AHCI drivers and you can run in AHCI. It likely did hurt performance on an SSD. Run a benchmark. ;)

:chair: Actually, the most gripes on this forum regarding P67 have been on P8P67 series Asus boards. :fight:

That could be for a number of reasons. Perhaps Asus is the most popular. :shrug:

I've also seen a number of complaints about the Asus boards on the NewEgg reviews. People were complaining that you couldn't OC w/ them. From what I can tell they just didn't understand how to OC on the new platform.

Right. I would suggest to everyone with a P67 board to lower the pch voltage below stock as a preemptive measure. It may do nothing, but it may also save your ports.

That sounds like a bad idea. You are trading off one problem which only a performance issue and affects ports some people are probably not even using and which may only show up after years if at all with potential data corruption problems. Personally I'd rather know my data is safe and deal with the performance issues if they show up years later (and since the fix is coming in months not years its really a non issue).

Big bummer for the guys who picked up their motherboard and were waiting to buy their SB next payday :(

This probably hints at the logic for retailers pulling the CPUs. The don't want someone to buy one and came back a week later enraged that they can't find any motherboards for sale and demanding a full refund rather than the restocking fee given the circumstances.

That could be for a number of reasons. Perhaps Asus is the most popular. :shrug:

I've also seen a number of complaints about the Asus boards on the NewEgg reviews. People were complaining that you couldn't OC w/ them. From what I can tell they just didn't understand how to OC on the new platform.

Can't go by NewEgg comments,I love how they always say there tech knowledge is very high,yet they obviously don't know what a multiplier is:rofl:

Can't go by NewEgg comments,I love how they always say there tech knowledge is very high,yet they obviously don't know what a multiplier is:rofl:

True,,, but there are many complaints of Asus boards not working right with approved RAM, without overclocking. Non-overclockers are having to <gasp> tweak their BIOS. I hope the board makers take advantage of the timeout to improve a few non-related issues. Meanwhile, I'll buy plenty popcorn, and sit back watch this one play out.

True,,, but there are many complaints of Asus boards not working right with approved RAM, without overclocking. Non-overclockers are having to <gasp> tweak their BIOS. I hope the board makers take advantage of the timeout to improve a few non-related issues. Meanwhile, I'll buy plenty popcorn, and sit back watch this one play out.

Yes I agree I was just saying NewEgg comments are a joke:thup:

That was my point. ;)

My buddy was reading the NewEgg comments and telling me that some reviews were saying that you can't OC w/ this Asus board. I told him those reviewers most likely didn't know how to OC on the new platform.

I do like that manufacturers can respond to negative NewEgg comments directed towards them. You can usually tell who the most reputable manufacturers are by those responses, and it can help clear things up for readers that are confused by the huge disparity b/n some of the positive vs some of the negative comments.

Theocnoob said that the Asus 1155 boards had the most complaints here on OCForums which may be true, but it may also be the case that Asus is just the most popular brand and thus gets the most attention; negative or positive.

Theocnoob said that the Asus 1155 boards had the most complaints here on OCForums which may be true, but it may also be the case that Asus is just the most popular brand and thus gets the most attention; negative or positive.

I've seen problem threads for Asus, Gigabyte, and MSI. Bashing on any one manufacture (when they all have similar anoying problems) for the initially buggy bioses, isn't particularly productive, nor is it on topic for this thread.

I am going forward with my build when my SandyBridge stuff gets here. I'll use it until they sort it all out. Most people, as stated before, will not even "get the Bug" for years if ever. They will sort this out, chips will be in a better state for us to abuse, we can RMA when they do or when and if we get the bug.
I ain't gonna be scared, I've had PCs fail before that weren't under warranty...

I don't know how the motherboard would be handled. It could be the company desolders and toss out bad chip and solders in new one but it may be too much work when you consider 10,000's of mobo with bad chip per mobo model.

A quicker solution would be to remove the 4 physical SATA ports, make a modified BIOS that would only check port 0 and 1 and not show or touch the other ports, then resell the 2 port mobo at a discount to recoup the loss. It might be good toward OEM market for cheap PC.

Im sure 1 bad transistor and the time it takes to go through the entire process would be cheaper than a new motherboard no?

I don't know how the motherboard would be handled. It could be the company desolders and toss out bad chip and solders in new one but it may be too much work when you consider 10,000's of mobo with bad chip per mobo model.

A quicker solution would be to remove the 4 physical SATA ports, make a modified BIOS that would only check port 0 and 1 and not show or touch the other ports, then resell the 2 port mobo at a discount to recoup the loss. It might be good toward OEM market for cheap PC.

Could just send me a PCIe raid controler. hehehe

Could just send me a PCIe raid controler. hehehe

That actually doesn't sound like a terrible solution... I mean when you consider the cost of shipping a mobo back to the manufacture and then the labor involved with replacing the PCH and then shipping the mobo back to the consumer on top of the fact you have an angry consumer without a mobo for a period of time -- its alot easier to just send a raid card to the consumer to make up for the potentially 4 lost ports and be done with it.

Back