• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sandybridge Chipset Design Flaw and Recall- MUST READ

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
:chair: Actually, the most gripes on this forum regarding P67 have been on P8P67 series Asus boards. :fight:

Either his rear end or someone else's, I assure you. ASrock is ASUS black-ops. There's no way it's not the exact same chip.

I just posted what NewEgg told me..

From anandtech:
You can coax the problem out earlier by testing the PCH at increased voltage and temperature levels. By increasing one or both of these values you can simulate load over time and that’s how the problem was initially discovered. Intel believes that any current issues users have with SATA performance/compatibility/reliability are likely unrelated to the hardware bug.

One fix for this type of a problem would be to scale down the voltage applied across the problematic transistor. In this case there’s a much simpler option. The source of the problem is actually not even a key part of the 6-series chipset design, it’s remnant of an earlier design that’s no longer needed. In our Sandy Bridge review I pointed out the fair amount of design reuse that was done in creating the 6-series chipset. The solution Intel has devised is to simply remove voltage to the transistor. The chip is functionally no different, but by permanently disabling the transistor the problem will never arise.

Since the intel engineers replicated this error by cranking up the voltage and heat on the PCH, would it not stand to reason that consumers can attempt to slow the hemorrhaging by reducing the overall PCH voltage?

I've just reduced mine from the 1.05v default to 0.95v (default in the nehalem generation). If I encounter any problems I'll report them here.

my only concern is how long will it be till the boards are rereleased.

When a hardware fix is found. Could be tommorow. Could be next month. Could be in April.
My guess is in the interim we might see mfg's omit the standard controllers altogether and go with an entirely seperate set of controllers.. which will add a few bucks to boards.

Incredible, not a single SB board or CPU to be found at any online vendor.

I've actually noticed this when I increased my PCH to 1.2v it resulted in a BSOD when loading the OS.

I just posted what NewEgg told me..

I don't trust salespeople any more. The guy who sold my friend his IPS screen for graphic design didn't know what an IPS screen was.

"Why's this one so much more expensive than the other ones?"
Said the guy who worked at the computer store to the customer at the computer store. :sly::-/

No industry is more rife with misinformation than that of the personal computer, IMO. The fact that people put up with a certain level of incompetence at the retail level
when it comes to computers that they wouldn't tolerate anywhere else really confuses me. At this point the only thing I'd trust is what Intel is saying. Anything else is reactionary 'interperative' action on the part of resellers. Anybody get any comment from an OEM yet? ASUS, GIGA, etc?

Incredible, not a single SB board or CPU to be found at any online vendor.

I've actually noticed this when I increased my PCH to 1.2v it resulted in a BSOD when loading the OS.

Right. I would suggest to everyone with a P67 board to lower the pch voltage below stock as a preemptive measure. It may do nothing, but it may also save your ports.

Damn it, nothing but issues with Sandy Bridge since I bought it. Two bad ASUS motherboards and now this, really thinking twice if going Intel for the first time was worth it, maybe I should have stuck with AMD afterall. Maybe I should return this for a Phenom II system.

fml, i finally start building my new machine and this happens. I was buying the i7 2600k tonight at microcenter since i am in town, should i still buy it? will i even be able to find a dang board?

local micro center removed all Sandy bridge mobos around noon today. I ordered one of the Asus P8P67, but they never filled the order. Consider it a good thing. Also, called Asus mobo support and they have never heard about this recall.

When a hardware fix is found. Could be tommorow. Could be next month. Could be in April.
My guess is in the interim we might see mfg's omit the standard controllers altogether and go with an entirely seperate set of controllers.. which will add a few bucks to boards.
Or at the end of February like the articles have said and as late as april to be back up to snuff.. ;)

I don't trust salespeople any more. The guy who sold my friend his IPS screen for graphic design didn't know what an IPS screen was.

"Why's this one so much more expensive than the other ones?"
Said the guy who worked at the computer store to the customer at the computer store. :sly::-/

No industry is more rife with misinformation than that of the personal computer, IMO. The fact that people put up with a certain level of incompetence at the retail level
when it comes to computers that they wouldn't tolerate anywhere else really confuses me. At this point the only thing I'd trust is what Intel is saying. Anything else is reactionary 'interperative' action on the part of resellers. Anybody get any comment from an OEM yet? ASUS, GIGA, etc?

So true,and I agree..I think she was trying to put a positive face on this but who really knows,its all scripted anyway,there told what to say and not to say..
Either way I know Intel/OEMs will fix the issues and we will end up with a new board..Im very happy with mine since I don't use them ports,Ill sit back and wait till I hear something concrete..If I don't I have 30 days to return to NewEgg ill go that route..

How do you guys think the exchange process will work? Will it go through retailers or board manufactures? I sure hope there's an arrangement where you can get a new board first and be credited with the return because it sure will suck not having a computer for over week if not..

How do you guys think the exchange process will work? Will it go through retailers or board manufactures? I sure hope there's an arrangement where you can get a new board first and be credited with the return because it sure will suck not having a computer for over week if not..

Would be nice if they would ship the new board with a return label payed by them for the return shipping..

Glad I still have my trusty P55 handy:)

Well ****, I bought the 2600k tonight, no boards to be found. the ****** at microcenter actually asked me if i wanted a motherboard to go with it, i said yes and he walked over to the blank space on the shelf. he then had to get a manager who told me they have removed all 1155 boards until further notice.

Big bummer for the guys who picked up their motherboard and were waiting to buy their SB next payday :(

I really hope intel works out something where I can change out my motherboard as soon as they have a fix. It seems like lately manufacturers have opted for extending warranties and wait till you have the problem. I always factor in use after I am done with parts, either from selling or giving to my family and friends. I'd hate for them to come back to me because of intel's mistake. If they do play that game I think I'll have to see if increasing the PCH voltage will help increase my overclocks.

I hope to buy up lots of cheap boards since so many people are overreacting to this :rofl:

WTB SB boards!

I had to buy a p8p67 pro on another forum because I'm pretty sure my RMA will just be refunded to me instead of them actually replacing the motherboard..

What a pain in the ***.

Back