• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Insane question about a CM Cosmos 1000

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Darkharley

OK so I'm sure there are a lot of people out there that are going to think I am a total nut job, and I probably am. But I was wondering if anyone else out there has ever thought of cutting two of these beasts apart and putting them together side by side. I am a big fan of massive cases and think it would look pretty good.

I' glad to see someone else out there likes the cubes too. In regards to your thought, I would cut out the back plate of the second case when mating them together. I'm working on a few rough drafts of what it would look like, hope to have them done and ready to post in a couple days in a couple days.

Ok so i took a few minutes away from 3ds max and played in PS5 and did a quick chop pic of the front and back at least. Hopefully I can find some time before work tomorrow to finish up some of max renders.
180947_1759260093695_1004800497_32058488_5398005_n.jpg
184886_1759250453454_1004800497_32058483_6320608_n.jpg

Last edited:
The problem you would probably have is merging them together without the joins looking poor =[

My thoughts exactly the curvature on the top would make that a pretty difficult project. But man that would look awesome if it came out like that!

Well How are you going to join the two and still have access to both sides of each mb in case something happens?? If are going to have split apart then how are you going to make them one but still come apart and still look good and that it's one unit??

Well How are you going to join the two and still have access to both sides of each mb in case something happens?? If are going to have split apart then how are you going to make them one but still come apart and still look good and that it's one unit??

He wants to make a single case, which means removing one motherboard tray.

as said and shown in his drawings, only one mobo tray installed.

Well what be the benefit of this set up??? If you want big then use a sever case or something else( i don't see the point unless he was running dual setups )

i like it :D
the dual power supply slots would be a huge advantage if you're running 2 power supplies in 1 rig :D

Well what be the benefit of this set up??? If you want big then use a sever case or something else( i don't see the point unless he was running dual setups )

You could ask that about a lot of the mod projects on this site, the answer is that we are enthusiasts and custom built/modded cases is a portion of that. Plus find me a server case that would look as nice as the mock up provided.

Coolmeister has done at least 2 Cosmos cut n' merge builds. Hit him up at XS. I can't get on any site but this one at work so I can't link you threads, but Google his name and you'll find em.

Why fuse them? You could simply cut both cases to match, smooth out the rough edges, then place them lined up side by side and create a hinge mechanism. That way you open it up from the joint between the two and it will still look pretty good, IMO.

Why fuse them? You could simply cut both cases to match, smooth out the rough edges, then place them lined up side by side and create a hinge mechanism. That way you open it up from the joint between the two and it will still look pretty good, IMO.

This hinge idea is intriguing.

This hinge idea is intriguing.

+1, it would be awesome come to think of it, never seen it done before! could work practically aswell if you have to space to open it up when upgrades come around :)

horrible dell.jpg

EDIT: sorry it has already been done :D but this would be 999 times better.
(its a nasty p4 Dell if you dont already know)

Back