• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 7 and its appalling file transfer speeds

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chriscc123

google has failed me, ok im talking about internal to external file transfers (desktop to external), and internal (drive to drive)... a 100mb file takes 5-10 min and a 1 gig file can take anywhere from 1 hour to 4 days...... for some reason it transfers at 5-10mb a sec, also latly my system will hang in the middle of a transfer and then lock up, requiring a hard boot, and it only happens in explorer.exe (as far as i care to test)... just google windows 7 file transfer slow and youll get hundreds of results.... i have yet to find a solution... help... :cry:
system in sig

Sounds like the SATA controller is configured wrong. Have you got the latest drivers, and is SATA set to Native in your BIOS?

not lately... anything in particular ya want me to run? oh and now, when ever the system crashes... well it doesn't really crash... 3 cores get stuck on 100% and nothing can be done, mouse lags... and i have to hard boot...

Edit: wait what?

DCOM got error "1053" attempting to start the service vds with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{7D1933CB-86F6-4A98-8628-01BE94C9A575}

from sys logs

Edit Edit:

source sbp2port

A transport driver received a frame which violated the protocol.

.... i am trying to transfer +50 gigs of data from a macbook in target mode... and i do have MacDrive 8 installed....................... am i thinking what im thinking correctly?..........

Last edited:
This sounds more like a hardware issue than something with the operating system. I would pull the drives out of the computer and verify the SMART data. You may have a failing hard drive that is causing unnecessary waiting time, causing your slowdowns and lockups.

Be sure to have a backup of your data before the array degrades and you lose access.

This sounds more like a hardware issue than something with the operating system. I would pull the drives out of the computer and verify the SMART data. You may have a failing hard drive that is causing unnecessary waiting time, causing your slowdowns and lockups.

Be sure to have a backup of your data before the array degrades and you lose access.

Can I suggest:

a) Examine the system event log, are there any alerts?
b) Do you have any malware perhaps (intercepting network IO)
c) Are you sure the networking is configured correctly?

What speed is your network connection? is it wireless or cable?

Bear in mind that xfer speed is a function of each end of the TCP connection, if a very fast PC tries to send data to a PC that has problems, then it may look as if the fast PC has issues, but under the hood the networking may spend a lot of time waiting for the slow PC.

Cray

it isnt windows 7, thats for sure, daily i copy gigs of files from my desktop to servers and get %90 range of network usage.

try out this program, truecopy and do what others have said.

I agree with everyone else in that it's a hardware problem. I can backup my entire computer ~500GB within an hour. And that's writing to a 5400 rpm drive.

Defo a hardware issue my system can transfer 6GB's in under 5mins to my 500gb ext USB drive while I'm still doing stuff on my PC

well, i booted to a rescue drive (with windows installed on it) and set my mobo so it was in ide mode, and did some tests on the hard drives..... what i found........... data loss.... for some part.... and some other mild smart issues, also iv decided to reRAID them in RAID 1+0... in the middle of doing a system backup of everything so... here we go... the long wait....

Back