• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Swapping the Old for the New(er)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well I hooked up my wifes monitor for a bit and now both gpu's fold.
Removed the monitor from the gtx470 and it still folds...

Looks like it just needs the monitor to start?

Ill make a dummy plug just in case. (unless someone has a spare;) )

I still have several vga dummy plugs. PM me your address, and I'll send you some.

Ok OC'ing this fermi is strange.

Precision is currently showing
725/1450/1590
Yet im seeing Unstable Machine errors...
vcore on the gpu is 0.950

I'm sometimes folding on my GTX470@ 800MHz core but it's hard to make it stable higher even if you set it on higher voltage and better cooling then F@H will show some errors after 2-3h. Games are running fine up to 900MHz but F@H is stressing gpu much more. Core temp is about 52-53*C max so it's not overheating.
750MHz should work at about 1.0V, 800MHz about 1.1V ( depends what card ).

Well I hooked up my wifes monitor for a bit and now both gpu's fold.
Removed the monitor from the gtx470 and it still folds...

Looks like it just needs the monitor to start?

Ill make a dummy plug just in case. (unless someone has a spare;) )

WoooooooooooHooooooooooo:clap::clap:

I'm happy for 2 reasons.

1. My advice fixed your issue.

2. You're folding again.

We ran into the same thing with 2 GT220's. Sounds like torin has you covered with the dummyplug so I'll keep mine that I may need :D

Glad you got it up and running.

Man this 470 runs hot. right around 75*c and I got a san ace right on it too. Voltage is at .925 now as well.

And wow does this 470 kill my -bigadv... Come home to see 1.5hr frame times on my -bigadv client...
Just set the 470 to pause when done... Going to have to put this thing in the HTPC or something.

Last edited:
On Sandy Bridge bigadv+GPU is definitely not worth it... but on Nehalem it's worth it IMO. To thwart the issues with bigadv+GPU contending for a cpu core I run my bigadv clients with the -smp 7 flag. This works well as it leaves the GPU client a full core (virtual or not) to do his work and the lack of an 8th processing thread on the SMP side doesn't impact its performance as much as you'd think.

Yeah once this latest -bigadv WU finishes ill be switching to -smp7
Or I might just put the 470 in the HTPC downstairs.

Wife is complaining about the heat already in the office and I just have 2 -bigadv rigs in there with no gpu clients running.
Imagine the heat with 4 gpu clients running lol...

Imagine the heat with 4 gpu clients running lol...

I can... I have 2x285, 1x460, 1x470 running plus three i7 9xx and a Sandy Bridge. Lately it's staying at around 30C in there... that's with a box fan blowing all the hot air out.

I can... I have 2x285, 1x460, 1x470 running plus three i7 9xx and a Sandy Bridge. Lately it's staying at around 30C in there... that's with a box fan blowing all the hot air out.

Yeah it's going to suck in less than a month here. I have one of our boards in the laundry room( under 45f ) but it will get really hot soon!

I need to swap the cooler for a 212+ P/P and move it in the house somewhere(wife's going to love me :D)

Back