• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Strange PSU jimmy

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

giffypo

So I've been trying to rig a PSU to run an extra set of fans, and I tried the standard Green-to-Ground fix. This only ran the fans for a short amount of time, then they turned off. I did a bit more research, and tried connecting the green, PS_ON# wire directly to multiple ground wires and to the gray PS_OK wire. All of these would provide a short burst of power, then the supply would turn off.

Then I tried connecting it to a 3.3V+ rail. This did the trick, and the fans run. My big problem is that I can't find anyone else who has done this, and I'm worried if I let it run, it'll burn my house down. Can anyone see a problem with this?

For reference, the power supply is a "Diablotek, 250W DA series"

I don't know if this will ever be useful to someone, but I've been running the PSU for about 24 hours now. There haven't been any electrical spikes, and the splice where I joined the +3.3V to PS_ON hasn't gotten above lukewarm. I'm going to call it a tentative success and keep an eye on it.

I would say a diablotek PSU is a fire hazard all by itself.

I have done the green to grd short before and the psu never turned off, with nothing hooked up.

All of these would provide a short burst of power, then the supply would turn off.

Sounds like a bad capacitor somewhere that may be bypassed or at least get less strain when you hook it up the other way.

It could be the case that the PSU shuts off if it doesn't have a reasonable load. If the fans don't load it enough, it might trip off for safety reasons, though I agree that for a Diablotek PSU, the safest thing you can do is throw it in the trash.

Connecting to the 3.3v might load the PSU enough to cause it to stay on. That's a sketchy way to do it. If you're just messing around with fans, that's fine, but I wouldn't use it anywhere near important things.

Back