• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for a good affordable replacement

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Deebler

Registered
Hi All -

Currently I have the nvidie GeForce 8800 GT video card and for the past 3 years I've been battling black screens / comp lock ups when the card is at full load when gaming. When not gaming the computer runs fine. I'm finally over it so I'm looking for a good upgrade, but one that is easy on the wallet. Either Nvidia or ATI would be fine with me, what do you guys recommend? I have the evga 780i SLI motherboard.

Thanks in advance!

What's your budget? :) What games are you playing too? EDIT: Oh and what are your system specs? CPU, RAM, OS etc..

Hi thanks for the reply -

I play all kinds of games from Dragon Age & Mass Effect to various MMO's.

My comp specs are:

CPU:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz

MOtherboard:
EVGA NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard

Vid Card:
EVGA GeForce 8800GT AKIMBO 512MB 256-bit GDDR3

Memory:
OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)

Power Supply:
BFG Tech ES SERIES ES-800 800W Continuous @ 40°C ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.92 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready

Thanks!

I'm going to say at the $200 price range the GTX460. At the $225 price range the HD6870, at $250 the GTX560Ti, at $275 the HD6950. Anything better than those cards is not easy on the wallet so I kept it under $300. I think that you should overclock your Q6600 up to about 3.6Ghz though so not to bottleneck your new card.

That price range is exactly what I was thinking :) ... thanks so much for the advice!

Back