• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My PSU just give up

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ppe1700

My HX520 has been making some weird noises for some time - during physically plugging the system into the wall outlet the PSU can be heard making a pop just once. One day I looked through the vents whilst plugging it in and you could see an arc. Not sure what it is but it has been doing it since my last systems mobo give up about 18 months ago :shrug:
Today whilst playing a game the PSU went "crackle" and everything shut off. I plugged another PSU in at the board powers up, and the HX520 fails the "paperclip test" now.

So now I have to buy another (although this is still well within the 5 yr warranty) I bought it from Ebay and not sure if they'll honour it?

I was looking at HX850 as an upgrade
I have the setup in my sig. This HX520 was pretty good as it allowed me to separate the GPU from the CPU 12v rails. The HX850 only has one 12v rail. I'm seeing more and more PSUs like this - is this the way things are going?

Is it better to have one rail with everything on than separate rails? Could anyone recommend a decent PSU that wont make me broke? ;)

Back