• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EVGA 1000GQ Psu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I dont think they've ignored your suggestion so much as they are working through a process (GA while a different PSU also used different cables too). They'd go broke constantly replacing MEH PSUs with better/more expensive models out of the gate. And lord knows you can't rust 90% of people on the other end to troubleshoot properly (look at this forum and some threads, lol). As much as you feel they are ignoring your information, you're doing the same..... or at least throwing in the towel and giving up. Though in fairness, id be done AFTER this new one, lol.

Remember...correlation is not causation. Youve pushed all in, but there's still a chance you don't have the high hand. :)

I am putting my money its a new in box unit. I am also putting my money on that it works fine.
Well, since i already declined a bet with Joe about testing it and if it failed, I would win the bet. Now Eugene is wanting some action.

Ok, I'll bite my tongue and test it out.

Joe, you back in with your bet?

A side note: When returning a PSU for RMA, they state in the instructions to make sure you have " At least 2" inches of foam or other type of shipping materials" around it in the shipping box. Failure to do this will result is rejecting the RMA.

Yet when they ship the item back, all they do is slap a shipping label on the original box and out it goes. The only material around the PSU is super thin bubble wrap bag and the cardboard of it's original box.

Amazon pulled the same exact stunt when shipping out the 850 P6 to me. No shipping box or padding. Slapped a shipping label on it and that was that. The original PSU box for the P6 has the corners mashed in :mad:

Last edited:
My hypothesis is that EVGA may have had a flaw in a batch. And that this new PSU isn't from that batch.

That is my thought as well. We shall see ;)

On the other hand, Linus Tech Tips (may have done) a video on how manufacturers will spec out a new product and build that spec for a while then use lesser components. So this could be a case of that.

EVGA designed and/or had a specific PSU built and then some bean counter substituted some subpar components to save money and never retested the capability of the respec'd PSU.

Ok, itsa confirmed, lika spicey meataball :ROFLMAO:

"It looks like with the last unit we had sent to you was a refurbished model and we had you send in your cables so we can test them to determine if it was a cable issue. For this next replacement it looks like we are sending you a new in box unit with all new cables that should have significantly lower chances of receiving a PSU with issues. As there is no reported issues with this particular model and certain components, we believe the issue lied with either your cables or the replacement we had sent out to you.

As this is a new unit I would suggest at least trying it in your system to see if you can replicate the issue. If the issue is still present, or you are concerned about using another 1000 GQ in your system, please reach back out to us upon arrival of the replacement and we would be happy to reach out to a supervisor to discuss options for replacement. We apologize for any inconvinience, please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Regards,
EVGA"

Alrighty then.

Ok, itsa confirmed, lika spicey meataball :ROFLMAO:

"It looks like with the last unit we had sent to you was a refurbished model and we had you send in your cables so we can test them to determine if it was a cable issue. For this next replacement it looks like we are sending you a new in box unit with all new cables that should have significantly lower chances of receiving a PSU with issues. As there is no reported issues with this particular model and certain components, we believe the issue lied with either your cables or the replacement we had sent out to you.

As this is a new unit I would suggest at least trying it in your system to see if you can replicate the issue. If the issue is still present, or you are concerned about using another 1000 GQ in your system, please reach back out to us upon arrival of the replacement and we would be happy to reach out to a supervisor to discuss options for replacement. We apologize for any inconvinience, please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Regards,
EVGA"

Alrighty then.
That's great news Neb. It also sounds like they are willing to at least discuss substituting the GQ unit even if it is functioning just to give you some peace of mind. Fingers crossed that everything works out in the end.

Heh, maybe I should work for EVGA... was spouting the company line the whole time... :rofl:
Maybe you should work in the RMA department and make sure they are receiving the cables also.

If it truly was the cables then this could have been an easy one time RMA.

#StillTeamCorsair

Yeah, good one! It's either the refurb unit or the cables like they said. They haven't noticed a trend with that hardware/GPU so.....

#NoRmaProcessisPerfect

Too late. Decided to go ahead and test it. Powered up the system fine...started FC4 just for shiz. Started game....played 5minutes. Game froze, screen went black. Hard reboot and screen is back up.

Yup, nice...real nice

Amazing.

I guess it's a case study in why to buy high quality power supplies!

I wonder if it would work on my 3090ti rig....

WOW

Record and upload a private video to YouTube of your system running with the GQ and its replacement. Send the link to EVGA.

The LTT video I mentioned before. I am wondering if this applies here.
Post magically merged:

Amazing.

I guess it's a case study in why to buy high quality power supplies!

I wonder if it would work on my 3090ti rig....
Interesting idea.

WOW

Record and upload a private video to YouTube of your system running with the GQ and its replacement. Send the link to EVGA.
Nahh, I ain't doin that. I tested with a few games, and the end results were pretty much the same with the exception of FarCry4. I really didn't want to open it and test it, but I did it anyways. To be honest I was hopeful. So I yanked it and put back the P6. I was even loyal enough to purchase an 850 P6 unit.

Joe, you owe me $20 :p

So at this point I'm not so sure I should even send it back and accept EVGA's offer to "be happy to reach out to a supervisor to discuss options for replacement".

Back