• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EVGA 1000GQ Psu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
1. relating to a system, especially as opposed to a particular part.

I am using this definition of systemic.

Don't make me bring up the Gigabyte power supply fiasco. LoL

My opinion is that it's a poor (in terms of EVGA quality) product and poor refurb process.

And I this...

2- the act of plotting with others to do something harmful or unlawful ;

;) :chair: :bday:

EDIT: @stompah - worth noting, the gigabyte 'fiasco' you're talking about was bad PSUs and an actual recall. This is a MEH PSU with a couple people's input. No recall.

Last edited:
Ok, they (EVGA) replied back:

Thank you for reporting back with your findings. It looks like we tested the last 1000 watt PSU you sent in to us for RMA as well as this unit before it was sent out to you and both the first unit, and the replacement passed our testing. This means that with both units we have been able to run the PSU in multiple systems under load without reboot issues. As you are currently dealing with the same issue with your replacement product. I am inclined to believe this is not a PSU issue, but another component that could be causing this in your system.

Are you able to test the PSU in another system with different components to see if the PSU follows the unit? You are also using the cables that came with the unit to confirm compatibility? Please feel free to report back with your findings and we would be happy to assist further.

Regards,
EVGA

Kinda funny as I'm currently powered by an 850 GA of theirs.
And no, no swapping cables unless I get customs for each, duh

Did you mention that point already (you were using the 850W)? Remind/Tell them fo sho.
100% this. And make another point that the WHOLE system is stable with another PSU. Don't let them try to dictate to you to start testing parts separately.

Did you mention that point already (you were using the 850W)? Remind/Tell them fo sho.
Oh hellz yeah I just told them that exact point. I told them the 850 was from my son's rig (intel) and it's powering my rig just fine. But I purchased the 1k unit for MY rig and the 3080.

I get a reply back from a "David":

Hello,

Thank you for that information. When you received the replacement unit, did it include new cables or were the cables from original unit you purchased?

It sounds like the cables might be the issue and if that's the case, we would like to setup a replacement for the cables, as the original power supply passed testing in our lab.

Regards,
EVGA

Is he 'effing kidding me? I told him no, the cables are not going to fix a PSU issue. There has to be another option.

It's a valid question/possibility....did the new unit have cables or did you use the old? If it came with its own, clearly that's garbage (but in fairness, they don't know and this is basic troubleshooting).

Yes, they were from the original unit. They said not to send any accessories, cables, whatever, came with the original. Just send back the psu only.

They send me back a used/refurbed unit without cables. So I'm under the impression since I still have the cables, and they're sending back an identical unit to use them on.

Now they wanna send me "new" cables. This is such a waste of time for both of us and money for them. Why not just send a different power supply and be done?

I'm not gonna play this stupid game with them.

I understand your frustration. It makes sense to send fresh cables and everything.

It doesn't make sense two overkill units don't work yet a lesser output unit on the same platform (with its own cables) works fine.... a short in a cable isn't out of the question here. Ask them if you can try the cables from your 850 with the 1000....we know they are good....

At this point they don't seem to want to just send you another unit so you have to play the game. You can tell them politely that you're done and to send a new unit... doesnt hurt to ask.... but be willing to try the cables.

The EVGA GQ series PSU cables are not compatible with any other series. The GA series is compatible with many other units.

Sauce

TL;DR inside

Since the beginning I explained to them the original GQ unit was working perfectly with the 1080Ti Hybrid in my rig. No issues whatsoever. I upgrade the video card to the 3080 FTW3 Hydro Copper and that's when it started to crap the bed. Same exact issue with their replacement POS refurb GQ unit.

They asked me to test the replacement in another rig. I put in my son's rig using the cables from my original GQ unit. I don't swap cables unless I get custom cables for that particular PSU.

I7-7700K & bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4
Asrock Z270 Extreme 4
16Gb Gskill ddr4 3200
Gigabyte GTX 670
Samsung 970 evo nvme

Of course it works perfectly fine, no issues. I'm still using the 850GA in my rig. No issues at all. I already explained this to them.

I told them I'm not going to keep swapping crap. This is clearly a PSU problem.

I didn't know you tested the replacement on your son's PC (did I miss it or were we just told?). That said, it also uses like, 1/2 the power so.....there's that...

Yeah I forgot to mention it. They (Evga) asked me to test it in another rig. I told them about my son's rig and that it will be a waste of time to test the replacement in it as it uses like less than 1/2 of the total rated power. But they insisted, so i went ahead and swapped PSU's.

You can also throw the RTX 3080 in your son's PC really easy and test too.... that will increase the power use and you can see if the problem follows the card and PSU.

Can't do that. My 3080 isn't air cooled. Neither is the 1080Ti. I did put the 1070 in it and it ran fine.

Back