• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to remove XFX 6970 heatsink?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IIVisionII

Registered
I'm trying to take the heatsink off my XFX 6970 to change the TIM, but can't seem to figure out exactly how to do it. I removed a ton of screws from the pcb side of the card, but the thing still won't budge. I can't seem to find any instructions on the net either. Can anyone offer a suggestion? Thanks

Thanks, i got it removed and changed the paste. Temps went up from 80 max to 90 max... Tried changing the paste again. Gonna check the temps. I hope i didn't make things worse.

Hmm. I don't know what to say. Are you sure the heatsink is in right? When i tool apart my 6970 to change the Tim I didnt get good contact until I reseated it.

I just reseated it again and put the tim on as a star pattern. Temps are a bit lower, low 80s now, but at higher fan speeds up to 70. May try again tomorrow and put on less paste.

Back