• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PS upgrade time. XFX Core Edition PRO850W?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GatorChamp

Looking to grab a new PS because I just a) dont trust my off brand unit with my new card and b) will be putting this 6970 in Xfire when the 7000 series and bulldozer come out. I can't really complain about this power supply because I have had it for 3+ years and it was like 50-60 $ at the time. It's just time to let go :)

I was looking at the XFX Core Edition PRO850W
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207011

I read a review on it and from what little I understand on power supplies it sounds pretty good. Anyone running with the XFX 750 or 850 and like it? Anyone heard anything bad on them? I will most likely be moving to water in the next few months as well. So with 2 6970s, bulldozer CPU, water cooling, 2 HD/CD drives, 850 sound about right?

I think you'd be fine. It's possible to run two 6970s off a quality 750W. With the WCing gear and OCs, you'd probably be close to 850W, but I think it's a perfect wattage range for you.

Yeah well within specs for what you want to do. XFX is a good company, most of their PSU are made by Seasonic which is a well respected PSU manufacturer. Most people here are in love with Corsair and will recommend their PSU to the exclusion of others. There are other PSU that are just as good (made by the same OEM and most likely come from the same plant) and are priced just as good.

Back