• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2 computer network

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

iggybaseball

how can i network me and my cousins computer to play ut? we both have win me with a lynksys adapter cards. how can i check to see if my computer recognizes his and how can i play against him?

Connect your two computers with a Crossover Cable from the NIC on machine A to the NIC on machine B.

Make sure you have your Windows ME CD handy. You may need it.

Open up Network from the Control Panel.

Make sure you have a 'Client' and that your NIC is listed under 'The following Network Components are Installed'

Install the TCP/IP protocol.
Go to Properties for TCP/IP.
-> Set your Default Gateway on both Computers to 192.168.0.1
-> Set your Subnet Mask on both Computers to 255.255.255.0
-> Set IP Address on Computer A to 192.168.0.2
-> Set IP Address on Computer B to 192.168.0.3
-> Enable 'File and Printer sharing' on both machines.
-> Make sure both computers have the same 'Primary Network Logon'
-> Make sure both computers have the same Workgroup name.
-> Make sure each computer has a unique Computer Name.

At this point your computers should be able to see each other. You can test this at the Command Prompt.
From the Command Prompt on Computer A type "ping 192.168.0.3" without the quotes.
From Computer B type "ping 192.168.0.2" without the quotes.
If you get 'Request Timed Out' then something is wrong.

You should also be able to see each others computers from Network Neighborhood.

If your computers ask for a network logon password, don't give it one unless you are really sure you wont forget it.

For playing UT one of you needs to start a LAN game and the other one then has to join it. I reccomend that you 'Host' the game on the faster of your machines.

Have any problems you know where to ask.
Have fun.

Last edited:
Back