• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Some Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I myself have an acer 5349 b800 that I am doing a whole project on.
It had 2gb of ram that I upgraded to 6gb and and im going to put the max amount 8gb at the end of the week.

I also purchased my i7 2720qm today and delivery wil happen between august and 2 September so I cant wait ! The g2 i7 cpus are very cheap now and I got mine for $70.

I have also purchased an pcie mini to pcie x16 adapter to try and add an external gpu. I will probably come here for the help in setting up. I don't know if it is possible to ad an egpu ta the acer 5349 but I see it has been done on the acer 5750 with an i5 2540m which is one of the first cpu s I waa looking to add but decided on the I7 2720qm because the price was almost the same. Both have sandy bridge and work on the same chipset and bios as far as I know. So hopefully it will work.

Has anyone else tried this yet ?

The laptop is way out of date but even so an i7 2720qm with 8gb of ram and an external gpu shoul be very competitive even in modern standards.

Any help would be appreciated !

Just a quick update I have successfully upgraded my b800 celeron cpu to a Core i7 2720QM. I have also made some mods to my laptop chassis by cutting away some of the bottom and adding additional heat syncs to the heat pipe. I also covered the cut open areas with a mesh. With that I also Use a chill pad. I think I need t re apply my thermal paste to get better temps. Under 100% load and stressing with FurMark my max temps reached is 92 degrees which causes throttling. Will give a feedback report when i re applied the thermal paste.

I decided to go with the EXP GDC V8 mPcie adapter for my eGpu setup. Will update when I get the GPU Im still deciding on what to go for. I will also be hardware hacking my screen with a LCD screen controller bard to reroute my internal display through the egpu so that my internal display is seen as an external display to bypass using optimus so to not have the performance drop of using the build in internal display.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for the link is defiantly helpful. I will be posting my progress as i go.

Just a quick update I have successfully upgraded my b800 celeron cpu to a Core i7 2720QM. I have also made some mods to my laptop chassis by cutting away some of the bottom and adding additional heat syncs to the heat pipe. I also covered the cut open areas with a mesh. With that I also Use a chill pad. I think I need t re apply my thermal paste to get better temps. Under 100% load and stressing with FurMark my max temps reached is 92 degrees which causes throttling. Will give a feedback report when i re applied the thermal paste.

I decided to go with the EXP GDC V8 mPcie adapter for my eGpu setup. Will update when I get the GPU Im still deciding on what to go for. I will also be hardware hacking my screen with a LCD screen controller bard to reroute my internal display through the egpu so that my internal display is seen as an external display to bypass using optimus so to not have the performance drop of using the build in internal display.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for the link is defiantly helpful. I will be posting my progress as i go.

I redid my thermal paste and ran some tests. Here are some results i posted in the cooling section of the forum
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...le-a-Core-i7?p=8021744&viewfull=1#post8021744

Back