• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus RMA for repairs under warranty, or lack thereof

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I quit buying ASUS Products. Their RMA department is horrible.

I am not referring to when someone damages their own equipment. I am referring to the Unusually long amount of time it takes for them to fix anything and how disorganized their RMA system is.

I had an Asus Maximus Formula III. I had to RMA for faulty memory banks. Being a Premier customer, you figured it may take a week... tops two weeks. It took almost a month to get my board back.

Good riddance, anyone who expects anything other than a throw away product shouldn't be surprised after reading this thread.

Well, I finally caved and paid them their "repair/replace" fee.

Wanted to tell them they could take their replacement fee and shove it (and where), but the repair fee was $30-40+ (depending upon sales and/or what vendor) less than buying a new board through a vendor and the motherboard is after all the only component I am missing for my AM3 "gaming" build.

Also figured that selling a motherboard that was broken in the way that mine was would be difficult and there would be a limited market for a board with no internet connectivity and a BIOS that won't save settings (benchers maybe?), but I bench myself and couldn't deal with those issues (how do you submit a score to HWBot without internet access? Use another computer, yet another PITA, having to go from one computer to another to make submissions.)

Called today to attempt to verify if they received my payment information, and found out that apparently they have a replacement board already reserved for me, they couldn't tell me the model of the replacement board though (can anyone say clueless?). So, it's a mystery what they will send me, if they send me a new board at all. I wouldn't be surprised if they screw me over again and just send me back my original unrepaired board, or send the unrepaired board first and then the replacement later. If they have to upgrade me there are very few upgrades which have similar features to my board, given the fact that it was a top-of-the-line motherboard in that model line and the only one with those features, if they do upgrade me to the next model-line up it would have to be to the next socket type up (AM3+) and be either the Asus M5A99X EVO, Sabertooth 990FX, Crosshair V Formula or Crosshair V Formula/Thunderbolt, because there just aren't any other boards in the AM3 socket type that support the features I want/need and that made me purchase the motherboard.-That's what I get for buying a top-of-the-line board near the end of its lifespan (or the end of its production).

I guess I can hope for a Crosshair V Formula or a Sabertooth 990FX, but it's probably not going to happen anytime soon.:rain:

I'm told now that it will be another 5-10 business days before I receive my replacement, or maybe they said it would be that long before they send the replacement out, I don't know they were a little unclear on that part. Why that would take so long when they supposedly already have a replacement ready and waiting for me, have my old board in their possession, and have my payment information, I don't know.:confused:

Last edited:
I was told they had one reserved for me as well when doing my trade up for b3, was also told it would ship that day. Thats when the tables turned and the 2 month wait began.

I was told they had one reserved for me as well when doing my trade up for b3, was also told it would ship that day. Thats when the tables turned and the 2 month wait began.

Geez, well at least they finally sent you something.

Hope I don't have to wait that long on the replacement, it's already been a month and-a-half since I first sent my motherboard in for repair.

This is just disgusting. I waited almost 2 months and in the end they sent the same board back after telling me they replaced it :rolleyes:

At least it's working normally and as it should. Looks like this is the very last Asus motherboard I will ever own/buy. For my next upgrade I'm leaning towards EVGA.

Called them again on 5/8/2012, was told replacement board would be shipped to me on 5/8 or 5/9 and that tracking info would be sent to me at the same time.

It's now 5/11/2012 and I still have no tracking info and no motherboard. :shrug:

I guess they're going to maintain their level of incompetence and probably won't ship it out or give me the tracking info until the middle of next week.

They'd better not ship me back my same motherboard after they made me pay to have it replaced because "it was so badly damaged that it needed to be replaced with a new motherboard."

Watch: You'll get you board first, then you'll get the tracking number afterwards. That's how they do things. I didn't know I got my board back until I heard my neighbor knock on my door and when I answered he tells me: "look, you've got a package" pointing down at the box.

Watch: You'll get you board first, then you'll get the tracking number afterwards. That's how they do things. I didn't know I got my board back until I heard my neighbor knock on my door and when I answered he tells me: "look, you've got a package" pointing down at the box.
That wouldn't surprise me.

Heck the first time they sent it back to me they never sent me the tracking.

I was in the same situation as you. I'd been in my computer room all day (it was a Saturday IIRC) working on one of my systems fixing some issue and took a break to go outside. Well, I opened up my front door and there was this package on my doorstep, no idea how long it had been there, to my surprise it was from the Asus facility.

Well, I received a package from the Asus facility in Jeffersonville, Indiana today.

They never did send the tracking information or any kind of email to notify me that they were going to ship it out though, so once again I get a little surprise when I open my front door. Does FedEx ever knock or use a doorbell? Swear I didn't hear anyone pull up or stop outside my house, and I've been here all morning.

At least they did genuinely send me a new motherboard and not the same one (different serial number). I haven't tested it yet, but so far they are exceeding my expectations because despite the person from their phone support staff insisting that I would be sent just a bare motherboard and no accessories they have in fact sent me a motherboard with the full retail package (retail box, motherboard, manual, drivers disk, SATA cables, IDE cable, SLI bridge, I/O plate, Q-connectors, heat sink retention bracket (which according to Asus' phone support is in fact considered an accessory)). Actually, the box appeared to be brand new and unopened.

Their packing leaves something to be desired though, the package had absolutely no padding above or below the motherboard, just on the outside edges. Heck, their RMA instructions insist that you must have a minimum of two inches of padding all the way around a motherboard if you are sending one back (or perhaps it's that way for all of their products), they didn't even meet their own standard on that.

I'm still annoyed that they made me pay to replace my motherboard when it was within the warranty period (with another two years on the warranty), but if this one works I guess I can live with that.

I'm certainly not happy with how either situation (for you or Neb) played out here. I'm still never buying an Asus product again. Can't take the chance of falling into the perpetual suck that is their RMA process. [see my post in this section about my recent Western Digital RMA experience, that's how all RMAs should go!]

Well, at least there's a (mostly) happy ending to this.

The board they sent me appears to be brand new, and better yet it functions flawlessly so far. This one exhibits none of the problems I had with the last one.

I still have to test some of the functions to make sure they work, but so far all is good.

I'm aware this thread is old but I had just RMA'd an blower-style ASUS GTX 1070 which I was having issues w/ due to the fan spinning at full speed at idle after only being 30C. My tracking from USPS shows the GPU was received on 3/12/17 at 10:30AM but I never received an email update or anything. Even when I navigated to their website to check on the RMA status it says "RMA has been created but we have not received your product. Please contact ASUS for assistance." So I just called ASUS support an hour ago and was on the phone for 40 mins (mostly put on hold) just for the rep to tell me the Jefferson repair dept has received it. So as a precaution I requested that the rep send me an email stating that my GPU was received for my own protection. Their customer service is polite but their actions such as how they go a/b proceeding on things is so backward and retarded. I'm almost regretting I even bought an ASUS GPU and should've have stuck w/ the tried, trusty and true EVGA brand instead since I never had any issues RMA'ing through them.

While some people have obviously had bad experiences with Asus RMAs, it is a very small percentage overall. I think people see 100 complaints and think "Oh my God! 100 failures! This awful! How do they stay in business!" When in reality they sold 22 million motherboards in 2014. If you add up all the legitimate complaints it's still probably less than they lost in shipping.

edit: corrected date

Last edited:
While some people have obviously had bad experiences with Asus RMAs, it is a very small percentage overall. I think people see 100 complaints and think "Oh my God! 100 failures! This awful! How do they stay in business!" When in reality they sold 22 million motherboards in 2014. If you add up all the legitimate complaints it's still probably less than they lost in shipping.

How do you find out how many motherboard are sold by manufactures?

Last edited:
Good news. As of 3/15/17, I received my first update on the ASUS RMA status page that reads: Your product is currently in repair.
---UPDATE---
My RMA # shows another update: "Your product is undergoing final testing." and it appears my GPU has a new serial # meaning their giving me a replacement card. Sweet!!!

Last edited:
Back