• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Build a new cheap pc. How does it look?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

N8N8N8

Building a new/used pc. Just want something fairly fast for surfing the web/ playing online games. Graphics are not important for the games I will play if any. onboard video is fine. Looking to stay under $250

What do you think any ideas/ suggestions. Everything is compatible right?

THANKSSSSS

aa.png

No it isn't compatible. The motherboard you picked out does not take IDE drives, you need to pick out a SATA drive. I'm guessing you are reusing a PSU aswell, but other than the Storage drive, looks good.

EDIT: NVM case has a psu my bad :)

I would not trust that PSU, pull out a few more bucks and buy a quality unit.

No it isn't compatible. The motherboard you picked out does not take IDE drives, you need to pick out a SATA drive. I'm guessing you are reusing a PSU aswell, but other than the Storage drive, looks good.

EDIT: NVM case has a psu my bad :)

thanks for pointing that out

I would not trust that PSU, pull out a few more bucks and buy a quality unit.

Im on a pretty tight budget. What kind would you suggest? Guess it would not be good to buy a used one?

thanks

I would put more faith in to a used Antec, Sparkle, Enermax or Corsair PSU than I would in that brand new Rosewill one. Keep in mind that if a cheap PSU goes Poof! it can take many other computer parts with it, a quality PSU will not only be less likely to go bad but will not usually wreck the other computer parts if it does go bad. I know it can be hard to pull out more money on an expensive PSU for a cheap computer, but if it gets wrecked by a bad PSU then it is no longer a cheap computer, it is an expensive pile of scrap.

try this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371029

or this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371034

Last edited:

how is that cpu better? not trying to be rude or anything but it has 1 less core and a lower clock speed. Also lower on the benchmark chart.

thanks
nate

Its one less core, but its a sandy bridge core!!!! Sandy bridge architecture beats an athlon.
Also, i doubt any online browser will use more than one core... Plus the Sandy bridge combo is cheaper and if anything equal to the 455 when the 455 is using all cores.

I like that setup but I need a mobo with onboard video. Te sandy bridge / mobo combo does not have onboard video for $114

Clearly that mobo has onboard video... look at the outputs on the back of it. notto mention the onboard is in the CPU (not sure what you were looking for though). I would go with that over a tri core Atholon as well. ;)

thanks both of you.

I did not look at the cpu, just looked at the mobo and to my understanding it says no onboard video, but yes the cpu has onboard video.

Onboard Video Chipset
None

Does onboard video matter if its on the cpu or mobo?

Im going to take both or your advice and run with the sandy bridge, ill report back with the full build list to see what you think

Thanks again
Nate

Video doesn't matter if it's on the cpu or mobo, unless you want to do a gaming rig or something graphics intensive. Then you'd want a video card.

can you put a laptop harddrive in a desktop like crapxx said and how would it work mounting it since its so thin?

thanks

No it doesn't come with any, also from reading about it, alot of people are saying that while it will hold an ATX board, they recommened using a micro-ATX. Apparently it's snug in there.

Back