• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ulmost done networking, need a little help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

iggybaseball

ok, i just set up a network on 2 computers but when i go to entire network> MSHOME> it just shows 1 computer, the one ur on, no the one ur trying to connect to. I have the ip, subnet, and gateway all configured. what cou;d i be missing

Also remember, you have to share somethig in order for the computer to be seen, if nothing is shared, then there's nothing to see...

gurdas said:

thats your problem:D

have you set up the protocols to be identical? and are both computers part of the same workgroup?

protocols? need some info on those. also i will share something. but when i ping each other i just get request timed out but when they ping themselves it works:(

actually i did set up the protocols, gateway, subnet, and the ip adresses. but it doesn't work when i ping each other and i cant see each other. I know the cards work and the cable works because i tested them both out.

is it the right kind of cable?

If your going from one system to another without a hub/switch/router, then you'll need a crossover cable, if your just using a standard patch cable, it won't work.

Ok, so the cable is fine, the proper protocols are installed & configured( TCP/IP, one system is say.."192.168.0.1" and the other is "192.168.0.2", NetBEUI, Client for Microsoft Networks ) both systems have the same worgroup name and subnet mask ( eg. 255.255.255.0 ) file sharing is enabled, and both systems are sharing at least one folder/file,...hmmmm

Gateway should be left blank ( it's only needed if the system needs to know what to route to for access outside of your network...DNS should be disabled and so should wins resolution, with that said, it should work...:eh?:

If you are using WinME then I would suggest also enabling IPX/SPX if you are only connecting two computers and see if that doesn't solve any of your problems. But be sure to keep TCP/IP on too. Also, be sure to share something. :)

Good luck

Back