• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

High temps on overclocked i7 930

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

YuriPrime

Hi all,

I'm a noob to overclocking but after reading chadamir's guide and working at it for a week, I managed to overclock my i7 930 to 4.0 ghz. The vcore needed for that was 1.325v. It passed 14 hours of Prime95 on blend so I think it's stable.

My problem is that I'm seeing high temps- I thought my rig would be quality enough to keep things cool but apparently this is not the case. Despite a Noctua NH-U12P on the CPU and two fans around it, one on the right and one on the top to blow air out of the case, my idle temp is 45C. When I was overclocking to 4.0ghz the highest I hit was 85C and I only managed to get that "low" because I opened up the case from the sides!

Do you have any suggestions as to what I can to do to lower temps?

My rig is the following:

Coolermaster Cosmos 1000 Black & Silver
2 x 120mm Zalman Quiet Fans
Quiet Xilence 800W SLI / XFire 4 PCI-E
Intel Core i7 930 2.80GHz, 8MB Cache - Included
Noctua NH-U12P
Asus P6T-SE
12GB 1600MHz DDR3 (With Heatsink)
Powercolor HD5870
Crucial M4 SSD 256GB
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium (64bit Version)

This is what the case looks like:
7597308804_3f2ab19122_b.jpg

Maybe change your heatsink to something better. i heard phanteks does better than noctua when you overclock. when the temp gets higher the cooler works better.

The difference between the Phantek and the Noctua is minimal though, just a few degrees.

Maybe try backing down the voltage? I can run 3.8GHz at 1.2V in the BIOS, vDroop is off so it's actually something like 1.235V at 100% load. Going up to 4.0GHz there takes a pretty big jump in voltage, so I just leave it at 3.8. Every chip is different though.

Here's the guide I recommend to people: http://www.techreaction.net/2010/09/07/3-step-overclocking-guide-bloomfield-and-gulftown/

These CPUs also love VTT, you might have to bump up the VTT voltage and be able to back down on vCore.

Back