• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

200mm Bitfenix Spectre Pro not getting 900rpm!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vsalt2

I have a fan from this page:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835345031

The specs are:

200mm
Dimensions (mm) 200x200x25mm
Current (A) 0.28A ±10%
Speed (RPM) 900 RPM ±10%
Air Flow (CFM) 148.72 CFM ±10%
Air Pressure (mmH2O) 1.26 mmH2O
Noise (dB-A) 27.5 dB(A)

Now, on Speedfan application, it is showing the fan RPM of a constant 720RPM. I have the fan plugged into the motherboard case fan header.

Now... +- 10% variance in rpm, would rate my fan at 810RPM and the absolute lowest., a far cry from the reported 720RPM.

Do I have a defective fan?

The voltage your motherboard gives out is likely lower than 12v, so it is spinning slower. As long as it doesn't make any unusual noises and it spins freely, I would say it is fine.

The voltage your motherboard gives out is likely lower than 12v, so it is spinning slower. As long as it doesn't make any unusual noises and it spins freely, I would say it is fine.

Thanks for the response, however I definitely want all 900 RPM's. I bought this fan specifically to cool down a mining rig. Should I try connecting it to +12v rail instead?

If I do wire it in directly, how can I get the header to report RPM? Is there a schematic on how to rig this to detect speeds once not using the mobo header?

Hooking it right to a 12v source would likely help, yes. To get the RPM reading, you would need to get another fan header and move over the yellow wire. This would allow the motherboard to read the speeds and the power supply to directly feed power.

Yeah basically I want to hook it up to the speed sensor just long enough to verify it went up to 900RPM then I can discontinue it. I guess I could just jump the wire by hand and read the logs of the fan speeds in Speedfan.

With my luck, i'll still get only 700some RPM's. If this is the case even connected to the +12v rail, then could you say the fan's defective?

I wouldn't say it is defective, no. Do you have the fan sitting outside the case or is it up against something (a mesh grill, filter, etc)? That can slow a fan down, as well.

It's not up against anything. Earlier today, I slowly ground out the huge hole in the case side with a dremel tool, took like 6 hours total.. it's completely free of obstructions.

I would remove it from the case entirely. Other fans could be changing how that is working. Fans that big and thin have poor pressure.

Hook it up to the PSU's 12V. Full speed.

So, you're "BitFenix Forum Community Manager" ?

Impressive, thanks for replying to my post. I just woke up, and after some STRONG coffee I'm going to go test this out. :)

Just need to find a mobo fan header pinout so i don't blow something up lol

yea im sure its just your voltage i just replaced all the spectre pro fans with 3-120mm's 1-140mm and 2-200mm and all work fantastic and near silent just hopping they make a digital fan controller some day that also controls there leds on/off feature.

let us know how it goes when you connect it outside your case with 12v

Ok, gave it the +12v rail and hotwired the speed sensor wire to the mobo header. Now getting 815 - 816 RPM

I guess it's better than what I was getting, but it's still not where I want to be at 900. I guess if it's within + or - 10% the fan is considered not defective :(

Just wish it was on the higher side of the range.

Are there any 200mm fans that would put out closer to rated spec?

I'm going to try powering the fan on a separate psu under no load, that should give the +12v rail full voltage. I'll also test with a volt meter. Reporting my findings soon.

Back