• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's happened to Afterburner?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SupaMonkey

Hi,

I used to use Afterburner with no problems. I realise the i need to enter a special sentence in the config file and change the unofficial overclocking Eula to 1, but now when i do this, it still doesn't work properly.

Let me describe the problem that i am having. I try to set my clocks, I click apply and then the clocks reset to the minimum possible. I try to save the clocks as a profile and again, the clocks reset to the minimum possible. This never used to happen, what has gone wrong?

I am using an MSI HD9650 (i think, it was a while ago since i bought it).

Is anyone else having this problem.

It is really not AMD's business to be aware of the ins and outs of Every piece of 3rd party software out there and make sure No changes they make to their own driver cause an issue for any of them - and there are Many 3rd party utilities

...especially when that 3rd party software can potentially cause problems for them with extra RMA's from disappointed kids who's cards will not OC as high as they would like beyond CCC's built in overclocking utility lol

To make a scene over something like this small fry issue when you get NVidia release a driver update that kills GFx cards and they at 1st try to hide from the problem is kinda over the top

Good going finding that solution though, I'm sure that will make others lives easier here :thup:

Both companies are getting really pretty damn good with their drivers these days - and if there is a problem it usually gets sorted fast :)

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=359671

There we go. It is a problem if you have a fresh install and only have the latest drivers. This sort of thing makes me want to go to Nvidia next time.
Nvidia/AMD has nothing to do with this though... :shrug:

Agree with Humanoid... making something out of nothing, but glad you got it resolved. Just note:

*You dont need to add that sentence/change the EULA=1 to overclock. All that does, if possible, is up the LIMITS on the clock speeds and voltages.

Nvidia/AMD has nothing to do with this though... :shrug:

Agree with Humanoid... making something out of nothing, but glad you got it resolved. Just note:

*You dont need to add that sentence/change the EULA=1 to overclock. All that does, if possible, is up the LIMITS on the clock speeds and voltages.

Yes, but it was changing that that was causing the problem. The standard limits were too low.

Didn't anyone actually read the thread?

This from Unwinder.

According to my unofficial info AMD indeed removed this library from drivers on purpose. So if it is confirmed, say bye to unofficial overclocking mode. It will be removed from Afterburner as well.

Those files are needed ONLY when you enable unofficial overclocking mode and want to overclock beyond CCC clock limits.

A big deal out of nothing, really? It is up to me if i wish to overclock my card. I put a lot of effort into to improving the cooling and then AMD purposely wish to prevent me from doing it. I don't like that. It's my card, and i wish to overclock it and take full responsibility for anything that happens then that is up to me.

I get the same thing when on LN2, and trying to set clocks too aggressively and it doesn't like it. Sometimes I have to work up to higher clocks, in order to get them to stick in afterburner.

If you can set moderate clocks and they stick fine, then set more aggressive and they drop back... It's either afterburner whiging out on the settings, or its the graphics driver crashing. I've seen it happen, often, both ways when I'm pushing things hard for benching.

Sometimes also, if I just use different numbers it takes. Like I try +/- 5,6,7,8,9,10 and usually one will finally stick, and might even be stable.

I went there I looked - saw a solution and people happy with the result, after that is little obvious cause to look further... also considering:

As I just a few days ago bought a 7950 (waiting to receive it) I have been doing more than a fair bit of reading etc - there are many overclocking apps and none of the others have this problem type reported.

Come to that, I am actually surprised you are the First I heard to mention it considering AB is so popular and I have been through a Lot of complete 10 page++ 79X0 OCing threads on various forums lol

Guess it is something I would have gotten to if I decided to use AB to OC with as seems to be accepted as no problem and standard procedure now - also as that change AMD made was back in about March...
Maybe done by AMD for the same reasons Unwinder makes people figure out how to "enable unofficial OCing" in the config files with no easy check box with explanation - which He does to stop noobs accessing higher functionality that needs careful use with understanding of safe overclocking practices.

AMD would be crazy to cut off real overclockers, there also seems to be no more mention on Guru3d about any other reference to AMD intentionally trying to stop people OCing... and lets face it if they really had ever intended that, just re-copying in those 2 dll's would not work now would it...

Again I Still stand by what I said earlier as it seems the AMD update only affects AB and not other OCing utilities

Back