• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My first overclockers post!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

klipone

Hi guys, my name is Taylor. It is my first time posting on this forum, but I'm not a noob to overclocking. My question is, I've lost all my paperwork on my motherboard. And I am curious if my current temps are acceptable.

I use Asus Probe to keep track of my tempatures, I've also included pictures of my in-case airflow setup. Its a closed case setup of course, just in the pictures case is off...

I live in Newberg, just moved here from california, so I'm no stranger to hot room temps. But here, the difference isn't much the heat, but DUST.

So heres my current temps.

CPU - 49-51c idle, I keep it under 62c during load. (Recommended Max temp for the processor...) (Phenom II Black Edition Quad core @ 3.61ghz (200mhz X18)
Motherboard - 36-39c idle, same pretty much during load. (Asus M4A88td-m) I believe. (Overclocked to 2400mhz and 2400mhz, I believe NB & SB? I dunno, it was kinda a new thing compared to my last motherboard, just did some research, and alot of guys recommended to keep it above 2000mhz for gaming. And anything higher than 2400mhz seemed unstable.

I do want to FULLY get the most out of my machine. If this means I need to get into my bios and write down every option, word for word, to relay it here for you guys, I will. Just wanting to seek some opinions.

When I put a house fan up in there, and have an open case, it'll get HELLA dusty, HELLA fast. But my temps seem to stay @ 45c idle with cpu and 32c with motherboard. Which I like to see. Just making sure I'm not causing damage by not running a house fan. I did do some research on the motherboard, but never found max temps on it.

My question is, are these acceptable temps for idle? For summer room temps?

*Edit*

On a sidenote, I'm also capable of moving the cpu fan to be flush and level, but I thought it would suck air from that bottom-right corner better if its arched like that. And then output air to my exhaust fan in the back... (Hope this makes sense...??)

Also, on that coolermaster, I believe I had actually installed it backwards at first, turned it around, and it seemed to be pushing more air. So hopefully you guys see that everything is installed correctly?

Oh and please don't comment on how I have wires going everywhere, and how it could cause a temp hit. I know, and I'm aware. It doesn't cause that much of a temp increase...

Attachments

• IMG_20120912_113646.jpg
    IMG_20120912_113646.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 66
  • IMG_20120912_113625.jpg
    IMG_20120912_113625.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 64
Last edited:
:welcome: iam in salem

Word, I play torchlight 2 via tungle, cs:source god, and cs1.6 god. (Won many competitions during LAN play.) So holla at me if you ever wanna play.

But I need good solid feedback! Please help guys!

Welcome to the forums, When you get a chance put your system specs in your signature, it will help us better help you. What Phenom II do you have? What are your temps under load, do they go to 62? Have you ever tested for stability using Prime? Your idle temps seem pretty high, if you are planning on OCing higher you may want to invest in a better cooler.

Welcome to the forums, When you get a chance put your system specs in your signature, it will help us better help you. What Phenom II do you have? What are your temps under load, do they go to 62? Have you ever tested for stability using Prime? Your idle temps seem pretty high, if you are planning on OCing higher you may want to invest in a better cooler.
Ok, thanks for your quick response.

First, its a phenom II x4 965 BE

I have it overclocked already, but only by 200mhz. Anything higher, doesn't seem to be stable running Prime95. And I dont really like basing my temps off of that anyways, considering I never actually use "100%" of my processor.

My motherboard temp is the only one I really care about. Because I couldn't find any real info telling me whether my idle temps are safe or not. Processor I found temps for.

If I were to go into my BIOS, and write down everything, would you guys be kind enough to go through them one by one and make sure I'm getting the most out of my machine? But also being safe?

Also, this may be knit-picking, but the way I have my Zalman cooler alligned, is that the best possible position, or should I make it level? I was trying to like make a tunnel route from the bottom right of my case, to, out the back. But this may not even help with anything...

Also, its kinda hard to see from these pictures, but I was trying to get my processor fan to shoot out air that goes off of the bottom of my power supply and shoved into that green exhaust fan, and out the back.

I'm open to suggestions, in terms of re-arranging my fans to produce better airflow inside the case.

But first let me add that I CANNOT mount that cooler master to my case lid that slides on the side, the zalman fan is to bulky and is just an inch to wide with the fins, considered bending the zalman fins, but that would just be stupid. Anways...

Sorry for being vague.

Last edited:
If you want to try and clock it higher, you should download CPUID-CpuZ and HWMonitor. Post a pic of the Cpu,Spd, memory tabs as well as a pic of the HWmonitor under load. Then we can have a clearer picture of where you are at.

If you want to try and clock it higher, you should download CPUID-CpuZ and HWMonitor. Post a pic of the Cpu,Spd, memory tabs as well as a pic of the HWmonitor under load. Then we can have a clearer picture of where you are at.

Wouldn't it just be easier to relay my bios options? That way you can see my current settings, and make suggestions?

I'm thinking we should take one step at a time. I'd like to see the temps under load, V-core, HT Link, NB Freq, memory timings etc.

Wouldn't it just be easier to relay my bios options? That way you can see my current settings, and make suggestions?

Problem with that is ever cpu is different, and what settings work for some don't work for others, those temps seem pretty high, a lot of motherboards give a lot more voltage than needed at stock to keep a cpu stable and if you over clocked with the voltage on auto you might have more than you need, hence people asking for cpuz pics.

Hi guys, my name is Taylor. It is my first time posting on this forum, but I'm not a noob to overclocking. My question is, I've lost all my paperwork on my motherboard. And I am curious if my current temps are acceptable.

I use Asus Probe to keep track of my tempatures, I've also included pictures of my in-case airflow setup. Its a closed case setup of course, just in the pictures case is off...

I live in Newberg, just moved here from california, so I'm no stranger to hot room temps. But here, the difference isn't much the heat, but DUST.

So heres my current temps.

CPU - 49-51c idle, I keep it under 62c during load. (Recommended Max temp for the processor...) (Phenom II Black Edition Quad core @ 3.61ghz (200mhz X18)
Motherboard - 36-39c idle, same pretty much during load. (Asus M4A88td-m) I believe. (Overclocked to 2400mhz and 2400mhz, I believe NB & SB? I dunno, it was kinda a new thing compared to my last motherboard, just did some research, and alot of guys recommended to keep it above 2000mhz for gaming. And anything higher than 2400mhz seemed unstable.

I do want to FULLY get the most out of my machine. If this means I need to get into my bios and write down every option, word for word, to relay it here for you guys, I will. Just wanting to seek some opinions.

When I put a house fan up in there, and have an open case, it'll get HELLA dusty, HELLA fast. But my temps seem to stay @ 45c idle with cpu and 32c with motherboard. Which I like to see. Just making sure I'm not causing damage by not running a house fan. I did do some research on the motherboard, but never found max temps on it.

My question is, are these acceptable temps for idle? For summer room temps?

*Edit*

On a sidenote, I'm also capable of moving the cpu fan to be flush and level, but I thought it would suck air from that bottom-right corner better if its arched like that. And then output air to my exhaust fan in the back... (Hope this makes sense...??)

Also, on that coolermaster, I believe I had actually installed it backwards at first, turned it around, and it seemed to be pushing more air. So hopefully you guys see that everything is installed correctly?

Oh and please don't comment on how I have wires going everywhere, and how it could cause a temp hit. I know, and I'm aware. It doesn't cause that much of a temp increase...

What I want to know is, how in the world are you able to have the Zaman heatsink mounted at a 45 degree angle like that? Is the base of it clamped down firmly to the motherboard? All of the coolers I've ever seen will mount either blowing straight up or straight back but not somewhere in between.
Which model Zalman cooler is that?

Also, how do you have your case fans blowing as far as their direction. The one in the front should be an intake fan (blowing fresh air into the case) and the one in the back ought to be exhausting the warmed air out the back. If you have both of them blowing in the same direction that will contribute to high temps. With a good aftermarket cooler and ambient room temps in the low 20s c, your idle "core" temps should not hit mid 40s. More like mid or low 30s. And that raises another question. Are you talking about "core" temps or CPU motherboard socket temps? If you use the free program HWMonitor it will give you both. Core temps are the critical ones.

Back