• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Trouble overclocking 6950 (am I posting in the right place?)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

iNvalidRequiem

I'm having issues overclocking AND flashing my bios (altering the shaders from the 6950 up to 6970). I can't overclock using the AMD VISION Engine Control Center, or well, I can OC but when I do games crash no matter what I push the GPU and memory clocks to. I have this model of the 6950 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131389 and it defaults at 800mhz for the GPU clock and 1250mhz for the memory clock. Even at 801mhz games still crash or 1251mhz games still crash. I read somewhere to increase the power control to +20% because I might be throttling the card but that didn't help at all. Next is the bios flashing. I didn't actually flash a different bios (meaning I didn't flash a 6970 bios) I just followed the tutorial here: http://verrytechnical.com/safely-unlocking-extra-shaders-in-reference-amd-6950-graphics-cards/ which essentially edits the shader amount in the current bios file that you have (is that what it's called?) and reflashes it. I've followed the entire thing and tried it with the bios switch in both positions and it doesn't work at all. Is this a problem with the tutorial (which seems to have worked for everyone else) or with my card, which already seems to flawed in the OC department (unless I'm doing that wrong as well). Thanks guys, hopefully I put this in the right spot :/

where does it say this model is unlockable? the couple reviews on the egg dont mention it either as its a 1gb non ref model

youre saying with a 1mhz oc it crashes but stock its fine?

wait.. you wanna OC it or unlock it to 6970 ? I got a lucky probably old one 6950 reference card from sapphire.. and I flash it using stock rom of 6970.. I flash one of its bios.. and it works like a charm

I want to both unlock the shaders to the 6970 and I want to OC it. I actually haven't read anywhere that this card was unlockable, but I was hoping that it would be just because it does have a bios switch (I thought that meant it could be unlocked but I don't actually know) and because all of the 2gb powercolor 6950's were unlocking correctly, but since those are reference cards I don't know what that means for me. As for OCing the ******* it simply won't do it. I read somewhere that a safe core clock was 840mhz and just to leave the memory clock at 1250mhz but regardless of what I do it will crash when I try to OC. If I set the core clock to 801mhz (it defaults at 800) it will crash, and if I set the memory clock to 1251mhz it will crash whatever I'm doing, causing me to have to reboot and set them both back to default. The shaders not unlocking doesn't really bother me, but not being able to OC it really does :(

I would love to change it but I'm having issues with afterburner. I made an album in imgur to help explain the issues here: . Here's my gpuz screen also, just if you need it :/ Edit: I have of course checked off the unlock voltage control settings but it doesn't do anything. Edit: Of course, now that I've gone and bugged you guys and opened this program about 500 times the Core Voltage is randomly accessible. What should I put the Voltage at? 1150?

Last edited:
This thread is solved I think! Now that afterburner has decided to start working correctly (quite randomly, too) I've overclocked the core clock to 880mhz and the memoryclock to 1350mhz without any crashing ingame. I've got the voltage at 1150mV. Thanks for the help guys :D

Back