• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Broken fan mount on HIS Radeon HD 4870....any options available to me?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ringside

Registered
Hello all,

I have a perfectly good HIS Radeon HD 4870.....well......not quite perfectly good. Read on.

I purchased it maybe 4 years ago....just after the warranty was up I started having issues. When I popped open the case I saw that the fan had become detached from the little 3 prong mount. Detached as in broken off.

Anyway I tucked this card away for another day and got a cheapy to get me by.

I'm currently in the process of moving and came across the old card. I emailed HIS and because the card is EOL I cannot get a new mount / fan from them.

Does anyone know of any options available to me apart from desperately hoping someone has one for sale for pennies so I can pop off the mount / fan and use it on mine?

Cheers!

Image....

20130127195231.jpg

I'm wondering if I did it the DIY way if lack of thermal paste would be an issue as I'm seriously doubting there'd be direct contact between case fan and card.

I'm wondering if I did it the DIY way if lack of thermal paste would be an issue as I'm seriously doubting there'd be direct contact between case fan and card.

Im confused? Contact between case fan and card?

All you do is find a random fan, 80mm is a good size for this, zip tie it to the heatsink, and go. Nothing more needed.

Yeah well that's good. I'd been reading online with others that had replaced GPU fans discussion about adding thermal paste.

As long as you dont remove the heat sink itself you dont need to worry about TIM. Just strap a fan on it and go.

Z

Back