• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Haswell reviewed, another bump

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
dont look bad, also doesnt seem like its a HUGE upgrade yet from sandy, like 20% in most tests? atleast the real world tests.

Well, an incremental bump is what I expected... and if that is true, is what we are getting. I will take 5-15% increases across the board any day.

Maybe its time to sit on the fence for while till all the reviews are out and then maybe the price goes down! Because the price i suspect is not going to be cheap,but could lower the prices on SB/IB Chips some, but that's all folks. So what would you guess for a i7-4770k $500.00 or less?? AJ.

Well, an incremental bump is what I expected... and if that is true, is what we are getting. I will take 5-15% increases across the board any day.

it is nice, just not enough for me to go out and spend 230 on another chip and 100+ on a motherboard. at least for me. who knows il probably do it if they are soldered and i can clock it to the sky on my wc, im tired of my sandy setup p67 bugs n shiiznit. all i do on mine is game so probably not gonna be a noticable difference there.

Maybe its time to sit on the fence for while till all the reviews are out and then maybe the price goes down! Because the price i suspect is not going to be cheap,but could lower the prices on SB/IB Chips some, but that's all folks. So what would you guess for a i7-4770k $500.00 or less?? AJ.
Id expect it around the same price as IB CPUs... :thup:

Probably noone cares about that performance difference but overclocking results. I don't know anyone who actually needs more cpu power except those who are benching.

It looks like a very nice IGP improvement for those wanting good integrated graphics.

I'm looking forward to OC results and to find out whether Haswell is using thermal paste or solder.

Too bad the haswell + z87 only has 16 lanes of pcie 3.0. :(
I still think i'll go 3930k at 4GHz on a x79 big bang with nVidia's registry tweak for pcie 3.0. Don't know if I have the patience waiting for IB-E Q3/4... especially since they're still specced at 130W.

i really want to see the temps of these chips. will they make the same mistake as with ivy and the tim under the IHS?

i hope not

LGA 1150?

I got my Intel setup to wait for Haswell, I probably will go with i7 4770K but that might mean a new motherboard too.

In toms article he says that Broadwell, is going to be BGA-only is that true?

QUOTE:We know from our talks with motherboard vendors at this year’s CES that you’ll be able to buy Haswell in LGA 1150 trim, but that its successor, Broadwell, is going to be BGA-only (meaning it’ll ship soldered onto motherboards).

In toms article he says that Broadwell, is going to be BGA-only is that true?

QUOTE:We know from our talks with motherboard vendors at this year’s CES that you’ll be able to buy Haswell in LGA 1150 trim, but that its successor, Broadwell, is going to be BGA-only (meaning it’ll ship soldered onto motherboards).
Some broadwell may be BGA, but the enthusiast segment will not be, basically.

I thought we had a huge thread bunking this a few months ago...EDIT: WE DO. Its Haswell based but touches on broadwell in the thread. We heard it straight from Intel. ;)

Some broadwell may be BGA, but the enthusiast segment will not be, basically.

I thought we had a huge thread bunking this a few months ago...EDIT: WE DO. Its Haswell based but touches on broadwell in the thread. We heard it straight from Intel. ;)

Yes I know there was thread about this however I just came across new information in Toms Haswell article and just wanted to confirm it was false information.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i7-4770k-haswell-performance,3461-8.html

Not sure there. Intel said something completely different a month before. Personally, Im leaning towards believing Intel's words nary a month before.

looks like, according to tom's that Broadwell will be a mostly mobile cpu... and that you'll have to wait for the next gen to get socketted chips again.

considering this is the MB manufacturers themselves saying this, i'd say there is some truth to this rumor.

–]Gan3b 27 points 2 months ago
What's your stand on the new rumour doing rounds that low/mid tier Haswell cpu's will be soldered to the motherboards making them non-changeable?
If it turns out to be true, won't the same happen to high end cpu's to save on costs?

[–]jecb 44 points 2 months ago
This rumor is likely misinterpreting facts or based on really incomplete information. Many of the variants will be BGA packages for certain form factors but not all. In my mind, if you lose customers by offering less choice, we did not save anything. But I'm not in sales or marketing.

^^ jecb is an intel engineer replying to questions on reddit.
thought this might be relevant.

Back