• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Haswell reviewed, another bump

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I wonder if they'll release anymore 1155 CPU's, they did for the 775 for a short while (the i5 750/760).

I don't really care about the baselines.To me the numbers look great as long as Intel does a good job with the IHS and it clocks up well.

Probably noone cares about that performance difference but overclocking results. I don't know anyone who actually needs more cpu power except those who are benching.

I'm a Solidworks guy, and the kernel is from the late 90's still and doesn't use much multi-core. It is all about the MHZ. Simulations are multi-core, and at that some take 48 hours on one operation for simple simulations. Trust me, I need the MHZ.

And for rendering images from CAD, that's run through distributed farm rendering. Pixar used to take 48 hours to render 1 frame of Cars with two floors of 50k sq ft of racks. It isn't just for benching.

Maybe I missed it somewhere, how will this compare to a Sandybridge-E specifically a 3930k? My next system is designed completely around socket 2011.

According to the article, the 4770K will be up to 14% better in anything using 4c/8t or less since the IPC is better on Haswell than Sandy Bridge. However, if you look at the results with the 3970X in it, you'll see that the Sandy Bridge-E is still much better in tasks that use more than 4c/8t.

Right, must have missed that page. So what's the evolution of socket 2011 now? I haven't seen anything yet that implies an upgrade path beyond the 4 2011 chips currently available.

I don't think you'll lose with 3930k especially if having Haswell around bumps down the price for it. It slaughters everything else apparently, and if you're doing in multi-core work or believe in 4 channel memory controller, then it probably isn't worth waiting for. I think resell will be good for 3930k over anything else anyhow even if that socket goes away.

Back