• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My motherboard doesn't recognise internet cable

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
OK here is what I did, and while it may seem to go against the advice given in these forums, it really follows it with a couple extra steps thrown in for peace of mind. First I set everything back to default. no issues, ran usb fine.
Then I ran amd overclock, and set it to auto and went to bed. Next morning I had a stable system running at 4.2 with no usb issues. SO I went to BIOS and set the settings there rather then click Ok in amd overdrive. The results, while shorter then the 4.4 I was looking for is stable, cool, and no issues at all. I am looking at another mobo something that will have a better chance of preforming. But right now I don't want to push this board to hard till I decide on which board to go with. So to all those that have posted advice in all the threads, Thanks, because they do get read, and its all a learning process.

RoGearLTU, sounds like you were using an overclock genie in bios rather than manipulating the individual bios tools manually.

OK here is what I did, and while it may seem to go against the advice given in these forums, it really follows it with a couple extra steps thrown in for peace of mind. First I set everything back to default. no issues, ran usb fine.
Then I ran amd overclock, and set it to auto and went to bed. Next morning I had a stable system running at 4.2 with no usb issues. SO I went to BIOS and set the settings there rather then click Ok in amd overdrive. The results, while shorter then the 4.4 I was looking for is stable, cool, and no issues at all. I am looking at another mobo something that will have a better chance of preforming. But right now I don't want to push this board to hard till I decide on which board to go with. So to all those that have posted advice in all the threads, Thanks, because they do get read, and its all a learning process.

I would be interested in seeing attached pics of CPU-z tabs: "CPU", "Memory" and "SPD". I wonder how balanced this overclock is after using the AMD software tool to overclock.

I would be interested in seeing attached pics of CPU-z tabs: "CPU", "Memory" and "SPD". I wonder how balanced this overclock is after using the AMD software tool to overclock.

I did it through AMD overdrive then rather then apply the settings, I wrote them down and then went to BIOS this way I found the limits of this MOBO, real fast, tomorrow I am getting the ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AMD 990FX Socket AM3+ ATX Motherboard, gotta be a better board. I read and understand all that I have read here and for my particular setup I went the way I did for the stability reason, tested it out then when I got to the edge. turned it back down a notch to keep it stable tested good there then went to BIOS confident that I had the right settings. I just have no faith in the VRM's on this board, thats the main reason I went that way and somewhere long the way the USB all cuts out, so this way I keep the USB and the right at this instant I am runing 4.3 and less then 30c 1.31 Vcore and still have my USB.

Attachments

• Captureoc1.PNG
    Captureoc1.PNG
    31.4 KB · Views: 66
  • Captureoc2.PNG
    Captureoc2.PNG
    48.8 KB · Views: 65
  • Captureoc3.PNG
    Captureoc3.PNG
    18.5 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
I did it through AMD overdrive then rather then apply the settings, I wrote them down and then went to BIOS this way I found the limits of this MOBO, real fast, tomorrow I am getting the ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AMD 990FX Socket AM3+ ATX Motherboard, gotta be a better board. I read and understand all that I have read here and for my particular setup I went the way I did for the stability reason, tested it out then when I got to the edge. turned it back down a notch to keep it stable tested good there then went to BIOS confident that I had the right settings. I just have no faith in the VRM's on this board, thats the main reason I went that way and somewhere long the way the USB all cuts out, so this way I keep the USB and the right at this instant I am runing 4.3 and less then 30c 1.31 Vcore and still have my USB.

Yes, but you still were blindly accepting the settings that AMDOD came up with, even if you did go back and manually enter them into bios after you ran the genie. Sure, they may be stable but are they balanced from a performance standpoint? What we typically see when overclocking is done with genies, whether bios or software, is that the ram winds up being severely underclocked.

Oh I am sure it all is not right, but I don't think this mobo will take much so I babied it to a point where I am barely comfortable with it. After I put in the new board then I will be more aggressive with the settings for voltage, and memory timings. Is my thinking wrong considering the current mobo?

It's usually not the memory timing but the memory frequency that gets shortchanged when using overclocking genies. They sacrifice memory performance to get the CPU pumped up. Looks good but may not give good overall performance. Running the memory at it's full rated frequency should add no additional strain to your mobo components.

Anyway, I could be all wrong about how AMDOD is going about this thing. That's why I suggested you attach those pics of CPU-z so we could look and see exactly what the result was.

DAKz, i hear what you are saying and I also hear what "trents" is saying.

1. When the Sabertooth 990FX REV 2.0 I guess gets in the case leave the overclock Genies alone. They will likely dork with the ram as "trents" refers to.

2. If you install Ai Suite from the Asus CD/DVD there will be issues likely by a factor 95%. Most of us that push the overclock have had to remove Ai Suite. I have even downloaded and tried the latest released version of Ai Suite which is later than the one shipping on the CD/DVD.

3. Leaving the previous board in an overclocked mode to 4.2Ghz even if stable wears and tears on the VRM circuit. Had user in here the other day that wanted to know what board to get next (he got the Sabertooth) since he had run his FX processor overclocked and the board just finally failed. Worked fine for awhile then just died. It was a good Asus board for Deneb processors but not for the 6 core FX the user had in the board. Point is he knew the thing was going to die and die it did but took a little while.

4. The CM 212 Plus is likely good to the 4.4Ghz you seek. The board you say you are getting is certainly good to 4.4Ghz and beyond. Cpu Cooler and the air-flow in and out of the case is going to be the bottleneck for the CM 212 Plus. Not to say that 4.4Ghz is your likely Max Cpu Mhz, since you should get that pretty well. Just after you put enough Vcore to bust over the step at 4.5Ghz the temps rise so dang fast.

5. There are at least two well qualified users of the Sabertooth 990FX Rev 2.0 board and they run a good bit faster than 4.4Ghz most of the time since they have pretty stout water cooling. If you post up the 3 captures of CPUz and the one of HWMonitor that is logging while P95 is running, they can look at the numbers and almost diagnose the setup of that moboo in their sleep. The board works pretty freeken slick compared to most of the lesser boards. A bios that makes some sense is one awesome good point.

Luck man.
RGone...

Want to take a moment and thank you both for your advice and recommendations, and to be honest with myself, I should have gone with the better mobo in the beginning. And I am not looking for an extreme gamer rig, just a higher performance rig then out of the box. So the advice and information is a huge help and thanks again. I posted the pics, and I have turned it back down to around 4.2 right now, all it has to do is last till tomorrow, or better yet till the weekend when I have the time to install the new board. Sounds like the Sabertooth is the way to go, and after checking with a local shop the price of $105 new for the r2 is very hard to beat! Thanks again.

Well the under-muscled thing has not got to last long then. When you get it done start a brand spanking new thread with the new board listed in your signature so everybody gets going on the same foot. Luck with the mobo change out. Take it steady and methodical and should not be too big of an issue.
RGone...

Looks like AMDOD did right by the RAM, both frequency and timing wise, if the values in the pics are the ones produced by the program.

OK fast question before I commit cash....
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 or ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AMD 990FX??
Specs wise these seem to be pretty even.

OK fast question before I commit cash....
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 or ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AMD 990FX??
Specs wise these seem to be pretty even.

Knowing what I really do about motherboards for AMD and what am now seeing with the later Rev 3.0 edition of the 990FXA-UD3 boards, there is no way you could chase me down to get me to go with the later Gigabyte mobo. Not as long as they are still making the Sabertooth known for how it works.

I just don't get fuzzies over saving money when I expect to put a cpu in a mobo and clock the PEE out of it. If one of these companies wants me to try one of the boards that is not known to work so good...they are going to have to give it to me for testing. And I am not getting rid of what I have bought that works. But that is me.
RGone...

fair enough and I respect your experience and your opinion, but what I see on the UD5 and the sabertooth isn't $20 difference and that isn't going to sway me one way or the other. I to am leaning more towards the ASUS board but wanted to ask, because the day I stop learning something new means I died the day before.

fair enough and I respect your experience and your opinion, but what I see on the UD5 and the sabertooth isn't $20 difference and that isn't going to sway me one way or the other. I to am leaning more towards the ASUS board but wanted to ask, because the day I stop learning something new means I died the day before.

Yes but in the post above you are talking UD5 board but you asked about the UD3 types. They are not even on the same playing field really. 990FX UD5 is a pretty fair mobo as far as I have seen. BUT and this is a large BUT, why not get something if the money is pretty close that most of us in here know what does what and already know it will overclock cpus as good or better than most boards and has an easy bios to setup? Otherwise to some extent you get off on your own track and it is like trying to drive around the block with a blind-fold on when we try to help since we don't have the bios in front of us. Now if you want to do the overclocking on your own...I suggest getting any board that sort of lights your fire. Could be sort of lonely but fun.
RGone...

Yes but in the post above you are talking UD5 board but you asked about the UD3 types. They are not even on the same playing field really. 990FX UD5 is a pretty fair mobo as far as I have seen. BUT and this is a large BUT, why not get something if the money is pretty close that most of us in here know what does what and already know it will overclock cpus as good or better than most boards and has an easy bios to setup? Otherwise to some extent you get off on your own track and it is like trying to drive around the block with a blind-fold on when we try to help since we don't have the bios in front of us. Now if you want to do the overclocking on your own...I suggest getting any board that sort of lights your fire. Could be sort of lonely but fun.
RGone...

Yes I did I looked at the UD3 then found so little difference in the price of the UD5 and the 990fx R2 thats is what prompted me to ask.

Sabertooth gets my vote. It's a known and proven quantity when it comes to supporting good overclocks on the high end BD and PD CPUs.

Sabertooth it was, and added a couple other updates to the system. A GTX 560 card a couple monitors, a 950 watt power supply. SO after I get it fine tuned I will post a thread for advice on this to overclock this to respectable levels. Thanks guys for your advice and thoughts.

Sabertooth it was, and added a couple other updates to the system. A GTX 560 card a couple monitors, a 950 watt power supply. SO after I get it fine tuned I will post a thread for advice on this to overclock this to respectable levels. Thanks guys for your advice and thoughts.

Glad you got the Sabertooth 2.0 Non-Gen3 board they are having heck with it now according to one user posting in the AMD mobo section. Good luck setting up.Sounds like you got some pieces to run performance.
RGone...

I read the post about the Gen 3, was enough to scare me off it, but the r2 should do pretty well. Thanks again.

Back