• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

On Windows 8

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Nice paper. I give you a B.

I keep feeling like I am missing something with windows 8 like there is some way I can make the metro interface really cool and show me things that I want to see. I keep dinking around with stuff but I end up frustrated.

Here is an example. For some reason chrome is gone from my metro and I can't figure out how to get it back. The news app always shows horsecrap news that I don't care about. I add the sources I want, no change. Why doesn't it scroll news from the sources I pick? WTF?

I want to see a weather radar map, email notifications for separate email accounts, facebook wall, newsfeeds I give a rip about. I want to make the tiles bigger for some things to show more stuff.. no clue.

The full screen apps is super annoying, I have a 32" screen and when something goes full screen it is like some kind of Sesamie Street sketch.

So I use the desktop .. lots. :/

I am viewing this on my Word 2013.

I wrote it on Word 2013 =P lol

Uploaded onto Microsoft Skydrive...how ironic.

XD

Nice paper. I give you a B.

I keep feeling like I am missing something with windows 8 like there is some way I can make the metro interface really cool and show me things that I want to see. I keep dinking around with stuff but I end up frustrated.

Here is an example. For some reason chrome is gone from my metro and I can't figure out how to get it back. The news app always shows horsecrap news that I don't care about. I add the sources I want, no change. Why doesn't it scroll news from the sources I pick? WTF?

I want to see a weather radar map, email notifications for separate email accounts, facebook wall, newsfeeds I give a rip about. I want to make the tiles bigger for some things to show more stuff.. no clue.

The full screen apps is super annoying, I have a 32" screen and when something goes full screen it is like some kind of Sesamie Street sketch.

So I use the desktop .. lots. :/

Thanks lol I'll take a B. I for one never figured out how to change the news app from Bing News to something like Yahoo, maybe Microsoft will have problems similar to the ones they had in United States v. Microsoft, with the IE bundling.

Metro is flashy and purty, ill give it that, and hell, I've never used either a Windows RT tablet or a Windows 8 Pro tablet but I bet it would be just fine for a touchscreen device, yet the disconnect between the desktop/Metro interfaces would probably anger even a touchscreen desktop/laptop user. One wants Metro to work, it's so pretty, how could it not? and one gets frustrated when it becomes apparent that it's really just an awful experience and cannot be fixed based on want alone...

The paper wasn't entirely targeted at the enthusiast crowd (this forum) as most 'power users' or 'enthusiasts' can surmise Windows 8's flaws after a few minutes using it in Best Buy. Yet it wasn't targeted entirely at your grandmother either, it was like half and half, and like Windows 8 it probably won't convince either really well, but let them waste their money and be frustrated, perhaps the outpouring will be just like the Xbox One DRM thing.

Still, the utter foolishness of creating a hybrid tablet/desktop OS, best utilized by a touchscreen (which 90% as said of laptops/desktops don't have) is staggering. Even before Windows 8 was made it was clear that the PC market was in the firing line of tablets and smartphones. Many computing tasks done by smartphones/tablets for the average consumer used to be filled by desktops/laptops, now they may not need to replace their more powerful computing options for several years longer than normal, before the smartphone boom. Touchscreen computers cost more, hundreds more, than non touchscreen computers. In a declining market, raising prices is the exact opposite move that should be made...

I agree. The cost is too high for this. Android 4.2 is free and offers more functionality. Hell Android 2.3 offers more functionality. No pop mail? Certificate required to sync exchange calendars? No gadgets? There has to be some way to de-Bing this. Ugh.

Back