• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A8-6600k Overclocked to 5Ghz on air cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

masterx1234

Registered
Hello forum, This is my first post on here and i thought i would share my overclocking results for the AMD A8-6600k Richland APU,

Before i post the results, here is the full specs of my PC below

Case: cooler master elite 310 with 3 120mm fans

PSU: 650W corsair

Motherboard: ASUS F2-A55M-LK

RAM: 8GB Kingston HyperX Predator Series

CPU/APU: AMD A8-6600k RIchland

GPU: sapphire radeon hd 7750 1gb gddr5

CPU cooler: Cooler Master RR-H101 (arctic silver 5 thermal compound)

I overclocked the APU from the stock 3.9Ghz to 5Ghz via the motherboards uefi bios

The results of the overclock were suprising, as i got 20-30% better performance in all games, even crysis 3 was able to run at high settings at 1080p with 40-50 FPS. As for temperatures, my system idles at 33C and on a full load 44C.

I am running a hybrid crossfire configuration than combines the APU's built in GPU with the HD7750 in the PCI slot. dramatically increasing performance in games

Now for some benchmarks: These are FPS Results

BEFORE
6g4q.jpg
[/URL]

After
9s8l.jpg
[/URL]

CPU-Z

jwd5.jpg
[/URL]

Last edited:
So what else did you change apart from the CPU OC? Your Crysis 3 results show a 71% increase in FPS.

apart from overclocking in the bios, i also turned on one of my motherboards features called "asus optimal mode" which autotunes and increases everything for you automatically, here is an example picture i found on google images, please not this is not my picture, its just an example

gmf3.jpg
[/URL]

well ive noticed alot of strange things going on such as incorrect temperature readings and voltages reading wrong, i think its because im using the beta catalyst driver, but i double checked and the bios gives the same temperature as speedfan does, all except for the gpu which reads incorrectly for some reason, everything is perfectly stable and i get no artifacts when rinning furmark benchmark at 1080p

I dunno if it applies to the APUs, but on the FX CPUs, the readings are generally off at idle and more accurate under load.

Try using Core Temp or HWMonitor?

i have coretemp and hwmonitor they also read incorrectly, im not too worried about it, im perfectly stable and the fans are doing there jobs at keeping everything cool

yes, prime95 is fully stable, and the temps only rose to 56C, it completed the torture test on all 4 cores, all checksums passed without any errors.

Nice! I'm impressed with that voltage, my 8120 gets to 4.7 ghz with 1.44 volts, and the voltage curve from there up is terrible.

If memory serves, doesn't overclocking a richland (or trinity, or llano) apu result in a higher graphics clock speed as well?

the gpu in the apu, is very ram dependent, so higher clock speeds of ram will result in faster video memory since the apu utilizes 1 GB of my ram for video memory

Nice! I'm impressed with that voltage, my 8120 gets to 4.7 ghz with 1.44 volts, and the voltage curve from there up is terrible.

If memory serves, doesn't overclocking a richland (or trinity, or llano) apu result in a higher graphics clock speed as well?

Overclocking an APU has two parts. The CPU section and the GPU section. Overclocking one does not directly influence the other.

Just remember the APUs have no L3 cache and that is what both AMD and Intel have used to boost performance for a number of years now.
RGone...

Hard to believe. Show us a print screen of cpuz, speedfan and prime95 while running prime95 for at least 1 hour.

That guy is a fake, he never had a stable 5ghz overclock on that 6600k. On my last post, I wanted to be polite, this is why I only wrote "Hard to believe".

That guy is a fake, he never had a stable 5ghz overclock on that 6600k. On my last post, I wanted to be polite, this is why I only wrote "Hard to believe".

Yes man your right. If he is a Prime stable why dont he post some screenshots of at least 1 hour torture test. Is that so hard? Everyone who have 5Ghz Prime stable with any CPU would post screenshots immediately.. You dont need to force that guy with a rifle to show off his 5Ghz...

Back