• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD APU A8 6600k terribly slow

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gengstergile

Hello. 1st sorry if this is wrong place to ask.
I have a build as follow

AMD A8 6600k overclocked to 4.3ghz
Gigabyte G1 Sniper a88x
Kingston hyperx fury 8gb 1600mhz overclocked to 2133mhz
Cool master cpu liquid cooler
1 SSD and 3 HDD
No graphic card
2 monitor plug to onboard video port (HDMI and VGA)
Avg cpu temp 65c

(Edited)
Windows 10 on SSD

My overclocked seems pretty stable with no bsod over 2 week without off.

The problem is the pc is terribly slow. I have format several times and the result is still the same.

In task manage the cpu shows usage 2% @ 3.4ghz when idle.
And 100% @ 4.25ghz when i refresh desktop many times.

While playing game like dota2 or csgo, i have no problem lagging or slow.

why does the pc feel slow even at high freq?
Thanks.

Last edited:
that's just the slow apu's from amd, just get used to it.
I have a couple, boot is slow, opening programs is painfully slow.

Define slow. What is slow? Hard to help without more details. :)

Opening program. Using word/excel. Internet brows Etc. Boot or shutdown around 40sec

that's just the slow apu's from amd, just get used to it.
I have a couple, boot is slow, opening programs is painfully slow.

So is the cpu really is slow despite its showing high freq? I seen many good reviews about this cpu. But its weird that mine not as what they said. Is it something else could have gone wrong? Or i just should throw this away and build another?

Detais...please.

Opening what programs? How long is it taking and how long do you believe its supposed to take? How is excel/word slow?? What in internet browsing specficially? What are you comparing anything to in order to believe its slow?

If games work fine integrated gpu im wondering if your expectations are just off on the other stuff.

Detais...please.

Opening what programs? How long is it taking and how long do you believe its supposed to take? How is excel/word slow?? What in internet browsing specficially? What are you comparing anything to in order to believe its slow?

If games work fine integrated gpu im wondering if your expectations are just off on the other stuff.

When opening excell/word, chromeit took around 10 sec or so. For cpu oc at 4.3 is it not suppose to be like instantly? Also when opening kmp player it took a while to open. Almost anything i open took around 5-10sec to open.

I seen my brother pc used about 1ghz to open instantly. But y does this amd runs at 4.3 took a while to load just about anything.

123123.PNG
While performing prime95

MaxxMEM2_j3127.jpg

Last edited:
That package temperature is way too high. Use AMD Overdrive to monitor it

That looks better. As C_D said the APUs of that generation are just a bit slow. Not much you can do about that and if you're gaming fine then I wouldn't worry too much about it. I had you use the AMD OD since ost softwares weren't detecting temperatures properly for thos chips.

That looks better. As C_D said the APUs of that generation are just a bit slow. Not much you can do about that and if you're gaming fine then I wouldn't worry too much about it. I had you use the AMD OD since ost softwares weren't detecting temperatures properly for thos chips.

hmm. that means i should just throw this cpu away. any suggestion what should i replace with. i dont want to change mobo as im in tight budget right now. i read somewhere AMD ATHLON II X4 880K would be good enough for FM2+ mobo like mine.

is it good for gaming and daily use especially using photoshop or illustrator?
Thanks

The 880K is a bit better but it's still the FM socket just an updated die based on Steamroller. That means slightly higher IPC but they don't overclock as easily as the 6800K based on Piledriver.
Probably better off trying to overclock the 6800K and live with it for now. Save your $$ and update to a newer platform when you can afford it.

Those are slow... Slower than Denebs and Thubans actually...

As the gents aboce said, not much you can do, except moving to a Zen or COffee Lake platform.

Or a used Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge/Haswell.

Sandy bridge is already 30% faster at the same clock speed than the AMD chips from this generation.

earthdog, surly you reviewed one of these things, long boot times, long program loading, they are just not snappy in any way.
if you would like to enjoy the great pleasure of using one, I have a little dual core apu in a mini atx board I would be more than willing to loan you for a month, if you promise to do 100% of your computing on it for that month.
My core2 duo at 1.8 ghz feels like a real hot rod after using one of my apu rigs.

No. I never touched amd in my time reviewing here. My last amd was s754/s939 newcastle/venice.

That said, expectations are a good place to start as people expect miracles from seeing Jesus on toast soo.... :rofl:

for the op, I find that these cores really need to be clocked over 4.5, but the higher the better, raising the north bride above 2500 will give us a little, but higher here is better also.
as for ram, 1866-2133 is really about all that pays, above that it's spending money for little gain, tighter timings help me more above these speeds, if you are using the on chip video, all the ram speed you can get as system ram is vram in this case.

When opening excell/word, chromeit took around 10 sec or so. For cpu oc at 4.3 is it not suppose to be like instantly? Also when opening kmp player it took a while to open. Almost anything i open took around 5-10sec to open.

I seen my brother pc used about 1ghz to open instantly. But y does this amd runs at 4.3 took a while to load just about anything.

View attachment 195144
While performing prime95

View attachment 195145

Hold on - opening things is slow?
That's a disk issue, son. What is your SSD? Are these programs installed to the SSD, or are they on the HDD? Can you post some benchmarks for that?

Also, your ram is in single channel mode. Let's get that fixed. If you are running a single dimm of that ram, I'd either buy a matched dimm, or get a new set altogether. The iGPU is heavily dependent on ram bandwidth, and you are just pissing away a ton of it right there.

Getting another stick of ram isn't going to fix the CPU. Like I said earlier on, I'd save my money sell this one and get something else.

Getting another stick of ram isn't going to fix the CPU. Like I said earlier on, I'd save my money sell this one and get something else.

yea i think for now just get a gpu then get another cpu, mobo and ram.
anyways, thanks guy.

Back